Bloomin' Onion

As I was driving home from work yesterday I got a craving. Smack. Straight out of left field. I wanted a bloomin’ onion. You know, the classic Outback Steakhouse appetizer extraordinaire. All 1,560 calories, 84 grams of fat, and 5,510 milligrams of sodium extraordinaire. Or…not.

One brief trip to the grocery store later, I was able to create a bloomin’ onion that surely wouldn’t result in immanent cardiac arrest.

Prevention Bloomin’ Onion

2 Tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tsp horseradish sauce
pinch of paprika

Pre-heat oven to 375 F.

Cut onion ends without separating onion layers, making sure one end flat enough to keep the onion standing on its side. Cut onion into a floret-style, carefully separating the onion layers.

Combine the cornstarch, paprika, seasoning salt, cayenne, and pepper. Spray the onion lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornstarch mixture. Drizzle egg whites over onion. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake for 45 minutes.

Combine the remaining ingredients: sour cream, ketchup, seasoning salt, cayenne, horseradish, and paprika.

Serve onion warm with the horseradish dipping sauce.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutrition Information (per serving): 85 calories; 2.5 g. fat; 298 mg. sodium; 11.5 g. carbohydrate; 0.8 g. fiber; 3.7 g. protein

Result: Yum!! My only advice: DON’T eat half of it…at least not without Tums. Or if you’re eating with someone you’d like to kiss sometime in the near distant future… ;) Oops.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Your comments from yesterday – wow! You guys are fat-savvy! I was really impressed with the opinions you all have regarding fat in the diet and the importance fat plays in satiety and balance.

I have already received lots of questions for next week’s Q&A (woot!)! Please pass along any questions you have for me!! Send’em to: PreventionRD@gmail.com

Question: Have you had a Bloomin’ Onion? Did you like it? What other menu items have nutrition stats that cause you to cringe?

TGIF!

Comments

1. youngwifey says

I love blooming onions especially the horseradish sauce with it, thanks for posting your recipe. My friend and I get one to share at the Bloomsburg Fair every year, it comes with two sauces, this one and a ranch. I other heart-attack food we also love, deep fried Oreos. Only had them once, but Yum!

I’m really impressed with your creativity in making a blooming onion at home. I don’t think I would ever do it though because a bloomin onion, to me, is like a once in a decade treat to share with 5 other people. I’ll stick with the heart-attack-on-a-plate version.

I’ve never tried a blooming onion due to the fact that they are always SO greasy at restaurants! I guess I never thought to make my own, brilliant creation, can’t wait to try it!

My goodness! I love Bloomin’ Onions from Outback!! I used to work there and it would be so hard not to want one everyday! And the delicious dipping sauce ! Oh boy. Your recipe looks awesome! Thanks for such a fun and new spin on an old favorite!

Thank you so much for this recipe!! I’ve actually never had a blooming onion because everyone tells me how terrible they are for you. I’ve always wanted to try one, but never order them because no one will share one with me…and I’m certainly not going to eat the whole thing! I will be definitely trying this version!

I’ve never had a bloomin onion. Fried onion just never appealed to me. I would love to healthify chinese food! Orange chicken is amazing but what goes in it is a bit scary

Nice recreation. I have never made one at home, but I have tried this. The other items that are insane in stats would be anything at cheesecake factory or claim jumper, where they are known for generous portions that you are never meant to consume in one (even 3) sittings, and the choc cake from PF Changs, which despite all the cals, I love to share with people. Have a great weekend.

Haven’t had a blooming onion in a long time… I like your creation… I have all the stuff at home and will try i…

A note about kissing: if you want to kiss someone and eat the onion, make sure they eat it too !! :)

9. lessonstolearn says

That’s amazing! I would love that!

I just tried to comment on your most recent post and I couldn’t load it from the email version that was sent to me…. Oh well…I love your kitchen! We are beginning the house hunting process very soon and a nice kitchen is on the tp of my must-have list!

• says

I boo-booed! That’s my post for tomorrow! I hit “publish” instead of “schedule” — it’ll be up early tomorrow morning. Sorry about that!

House-hunting is so much fun! The kitchen was key for me, too!! Take lots of pictures, that’s all I can say…after seeing 20 houses a day, they all blend together!

This bloomin’ onion is freakin’ amazing! How did you come up with this ‘healthified’ recipe? It’s great! I can’t believe the stats on Outback’s version. That makes me sick. I know many would disagree, but I wouldn’t mind seeing nutritional stats on menus. Some people wouldn’t care, but I totally would consider it before ordering. The Cheesecake Factory has some real scary items on the menu. I just saw some of their stats today online and it freaked me out! EEK!

Andrew LOVES Outback’s bloomin onion and I’m embarrassed for him when I tell you that he’s eaten an entire one by himself and THEN proceeded to eat his dinner. Yeah, men. Your’s looks good!! Don’t know if Andrew would like it (too healthy) but I definitely would!!!!! :)

I’ve certainly had a Bloomin’ Onion before at Outback!! It really wasn’t that great, but was rather impressive. I’d rather not know the nutrition stat though, lol.

Heck yeah!! Great idea to make your own bloomin’ onion. I can’t BELIEVE the stats on the real one. I mean, gross! I realize this is probably an appetizer that gets shared with several people, HOWEVER, I am sure there have been plenty of individuals who had downed the entire thing all by themselves. Scary, but true. Personally I would rather get that many calories from ice cream, or pizza, or lasagna! Not a fried onion…. I would much rather eat yours!! Very creative. Have a nice weekend Nicole!

You are truly a girl after my own heart! My favorite things to order at Outback are the bloomin onion (by far!) and the blue cheese chopped salad. I’ve always wanted to make a healthier version of the onion at home, so thanks for the inspiration! :)