Protein Pancakes & Waffles

I’m not one to fall into the whole high protein shenanigans of protein shakes and bars. Generally speaking, American diets are not lacking in protein. I do, however, watch my carbohydrate intake because of PCOS and my blood glucose issues. But putting aside my beliefs and health issues, including protein to your morning meal is simply smart.

Protein adds balance and satiety that lacks in most breakfast options. A bowl of oatmeal or cereal, for example, lack fat and protein unless added in. Those carbohydrate-rich meals, complex (those containing fiber) or not, tend to have people hungry by the late morning hours. If you’re growling by 10 am, you either need a snack, and/or more protein in your breakfast meal.

Enter protein waffle:

Perfect Protein Pancakes from Foodologie

2 Tbsp whole wheat (pastry) flour
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 small banana, mashed
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or almond extract)

Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add the mashed banana, milk and vanilla and stir together until just combined.  In a small bowl whip up the egg white until it’s frothy.  Add it to the rest of the batter.  Bake in a heated waffle iron or cook on a griddle/pan for tasty protein filled breakfast goodies. Yield: 1 serving (1 large waffle or 3 small pancakes).

Nutrition Information: 303 calories; 3 g. fat; 61 mg. cholesterol; 376 mg. sodium; 44 g. carbohydrate;  5. g. fiber; 27 g. protein

Result: REALLY GOOD! I am so happy to say that! I’ve always purchased chocolate protein powder, but I really enjoyed using vanilla…the waffles were sweet and not heavy like most high-protein foods. I will definitely be making these again…27 grams of protein! Wowza!! Recommend these to your jock friends ;)

Last night was my first hockey game with my new team! I had a blast. Playing hockey will always make me feel strong and youthful! Can’t ask for more out of a workout! :-D

Have a fabulous week! To brighten up your Monday morning: Lily (in a most awkward position)…

Question: Do you having a filling breakfast that holds you until lunch, or do you snack mid-morning? Do you find protein in the morning helps to keep you full for longer?

Look for lots of apple recipes this week…it was a busy weekend in my kitchen ;)

Monday blues,

Comments

Working in a school, I don’t have time to snack mid-morning, so my breakfasts are typically the largest meal of my day. I do find that a combination of whole-grain carbs, protein, and healthy fat is the best way to satiate my hunger for 5 hours. A spoonful of peanut butter on top of banana oatmeal is one of my go-to breakfasts, as is Greek yogurt with fruit, a bit of cereal or granola, and (of course) a spoonful of peanut butter.

I usually eat once in the morning then at lunch. Sometimes if I remember to bring some nuts to snack on mid-morning, I will. Without them, I’m usually starving by lunch. I think the only breakfast that really keeps me full for a long time is eggs–but I don’t make those during the week since I make breakfast at work.

I’m always leery to eat too many pancakes and waffles in the morning because they can be so carb-heavy and not really fill me up for long. I love the idea of boosting em with some protein–smart thinkin :-)

My favorite breakfast recently is just a smooshed banana, protein powder, splash of hemp milk, and raw oats all mixed into a pudding. It’s super nutritionally dense and filling

I am HORRIBLE at eating breakfast in the morning. It seems like when I do have eggs and bacon or something before work, I’m STARVING by 10am and consider eating my desk at work. I can’t wait to try these, they look delicious!

Lily is so cute! I love that picture.

I almost always have the same breakfast (oatmeal), and it keeps me full on the weekend no problem. But for some reason, during the week Im usually starving by 9am. Probably because Im sitting at work all day and am just looking for something else to do.

Love the Lilly pics to put a smile on my face!
    I usually do some protein in the morning..eggs, greek yogurt, or pb, mainly.
    I usually don’t have a huge breakfast cause I pack it and take it to work so I will snack on some fruit before lunch.

The waffles look great! I have to admit that I don’t make waffles very often since I hate cleaning the waffle maker… I know. It’s a lame reason…

And yes, I try to make sure to eat some protein with breakfast. It definitely makes a difference as to when I get hungry. My usual breakfast is oatmeal with Greek yogurt and some walnuts. It does a pretty good job keeping me full.

Have a great week, Nicole!

I also have pcos so I know how important it is to sneak in protein…and I love making protein pancakes! =)

that lily picture totally made my day!!!

I try to eat a filling breakfast without a snack between breakfast and lunch (oatmal is my fav!). The waffles look incredible! Awww, what a sweet pic of Lily!

I need a waffle iron SO badly!! I LOVE waffles (and pancakes) but they never fill me up. So this would be perfect! I have oatmeal with a banana every morning, but have to add in some almond butter for staying power. Then I snack on almonds after that if I’m still hungry. I definitely need some fat/protein in the a.m.!

Awww, Lily makes my heart happy! What a cutie pie.

I am a big grazer, so as much as I love a big breakfast on the weekends, I prefer smaller meals throughout the day. So a smaller breakfast & a snack is my go to!

Lily is so adorable, I always appreciate the doggie pics!

I like to have a high protein breakfast and like to mix it up between oatmeal (only when its cold out though, I cant eat it when its hot out ), eggs and Kashi.

Lily looks so peaceful getting her sleep on…

My breakfast of oatmeal with a banana and a little bit of flax seed does not hold me until lunch. So, I usually have Greek yogurt in between. Is that too much? Don’t answer that…

damn it i need a waffle iron BADLY! cant wait to finally try out some protein waffles. i guess it could work for pancakes too for now tho…
    ur a pro at mastering the waffles <3

I completely agree! I’m not usually into protein bars and powders but these really keep me full for a long time! I tried making them with buckwheat flour this week and they turned out great! Glad you liked them!

Hi Cheryl. Actually, 61 milligrams of cholesterol is about 1/3 the amount in one egg…definitely not a high amount at all.