Lightened Up Shamrock Shakes

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I used to really celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in college. The University of Illinois celebrates an “Unofficial” St. Patrick’s Day. Some say it’s just an extra day to engage in binge drinking. Others say it is because the Engineering Open House always used fall over St. Patrick’s Day and the students couldn’t “celebrate” properly….if you know what I mean.

Drinking festivities on Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day would start at sun rise and end when everyone had had their fill of green beer. Of course this took place on a Friday, so you can imagine the class attendance and/or debauchery that ensued. But still today, St. Patrick’s Day is only properly recognized with a green beer :-D I’ll wait til after work and my workout for that, though ;)

If you ask Mr. Prevention, St. Patrick’s Day is all about the Shamrock Shake from McDonalds. Our neighborhood is right off a main road that passes right by a McDonalds — there’s no dodging it. For the past month, I’ve had to deal with a pouting, begging passenger, or a side-tracked driver who “needs” a Shamrock Shake.

Admittedly, they’re good…but I wouldn’t be crushed if I never had another one. And quite frankly, I’d take a beer over a Shamrock Shake any day! ;) But for love, and the sake of health, I recreated the Shamrock Shake at home with a few less calories and fat.

Lightened Up Shamrock Shakes

2 cups low-fat vanilla bean ice cream
1 cup fat-free milk
1/4 tsp mint extract
6 drops green food coloring

Blend until smooth and serve. Yield: 2 servings.

Nutrition Information (per serving): 240 calories; 7 g. fat; 42 mg. cholesterol; 150 mg. sodium; 36 g. carbohydrate; 0 g. fiber; 10 g. protein

Result: A very acceptable re-make! Mr. Prevention gives a thumbs up to the taste, portion, and nutrition info! Enjoy!

Yesterday was long. I am exhausted. My first quarter of teaching is over — it was fun, exciting, and I’m sad it’s over! My students were wonderful and I hope next quarter brings with it another fun bunch :-D But I’m not gunna lie, 14-hour days are exhausting. I left the house at 6:50am and walked in the door at 9pm. Poooooped.

Question: Are you celebrating St. Patrick’s Day today??

Love from an Irish RD,

Comments

I looooove shamrock shakes too!!! I think I’ll stop and get the fixings so Belle and I can enjoy one on our back patio this afternoon together! YUM!

I’ve never had a shamrock shake, but yours looks good! I had a quick question for you. Do you have your blogroll listed anymore, and I’m just overlooking it?

3. Holly says

I have never had a Shamrock shake :-( AND I stupidly gave up ice cream for Lent, so…looks like I’ll have to wait until next year!

I’m not really celebrating today, because I have to work tonight and swim with my sister…..but at least it’s a BEAUTIFUL day here in the Midwest, right??!

I have never had the McDonald’s shake but I’ve made plenty of mint milkshakes with the Edy’s Slow Churned Mint Chip – I love them!

I’m wearing green but not really celebrating otherwise – I hope to go for a run after work!

shamrock shake trumps green beer anyday! lol

corned beef and cabbage in two crockpots as I write this….Irish soda bread coming with my mom for dinner later. I eat corned beef and cabbage ONE time a year….soooooo excited! slather it with horseradish ( don’t know if that is irish or not) and enjoy every bite!

I always do corned beef because I am a Reuben whore – and I plan on making a reuben quiche for my lunch tomorrow with the leftovers! :D

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
    This shake looks delicious!
    I am going out with friends tonight downtown on the strip. It should be a fun time! Never done the Vegas thing really for St. Patty’s Day..should be interesting to say the least. :)