Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts + Weekly Menu

They’re baaaaaaaack…baked doughnuts!

Mr. Prevention and I were heading home last night from a work dinner thing and he starts to pull into the Kroger parking lot.

• Me: What are you getting? We just went shopping today.
  • Mr. P: NUTS!
  • Me: What?
  • Mr. P: DOUGH!
  • Me: WHAT?
  • Mr. P: Doughnuts. And OJ.
  • Me: I have everything to make a new doughnut recipe, can I make those instead?
  • Mr. P: Are you going to make orange juice, too?
  • Me: ::shoots him a dirty look::

And, these were delicious. I love the simple ingredients and short cook time.

The recipe makes quite a few, but beware! You can pile through these quicker than you’d imagine :)

Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts adapted from And Her Little Dog Too, as seen on The Healthy Apron

12 oz unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon, divided
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Combine white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl, set aside.

Combine applesauce, egg, oil, and sugar in to a large bowl and mix well. Slowly incorporate the rest of the ingredients, mix well, but be sure not to over mix. Place ~3 Tbsp of batter into each donut mold, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, and bake for 8-9 minutes.

Spray tops of doughnuts very lightly with canola oil cooking spray and dunk into cinnamon/sugar mixture. Yield: 22 doughnuts.

Nutrition Information (per doughnut): 79 calories; 0.95 g. fat; 10 mg. cholesterol; 75 mg. sodium; 16.7 g. carbohydrate; 0.7 g. fiber; 1.6 g. protein

Result: These were excellent! The cinnamon/sugar topping was definitely the perfect touch and I don’t know that they would be as good without ;). Mr. Prevention requested doughnuts this weekend and he quickly inhaled 5 of them and with a mouthful blurted out, “These are good…how many calories each?” :) He loved them even more when my answer was “79!” Enjoy!

I have lots on my to-do list today! Time to get to it! Oh, and my hockey team plays in the championship game tonight…I’m excited :-D

This week’s menu is a bit off because Mr. P has work events every night and I am heading to Chicago on Thursday afternoon. But, here it is!

Weekly Menu: April 17th – 20th

• Sunday:Chicken Korma w/ naan from TJ’s
  • Monday: Portabello Mushroom Pizzas (roll-over from last week’s menu)
  • Tuesday: Potato Salmon Patties (rec from a friend!)
  • Wednesday: leftovers

Question: What’s your favorite breakfast “splurge”?

I love, love, love doughnuts…if you hadn’t caught on to that by now ;)

Comments

1. Julie Johnson says

These look wonderful!! Can you make them as a muffin and how long would you bake them? I don’t have a doughnut pan. :(

• Nicole says

Julie, yes! I’m sure. I would fill the muffin tins just about 1/2 way, no more than 2/3rd and I would bake them at 400 F for 15 minutes and stick a toothpick in at that point. You want the toothpick to come out clean and the muffin/doughnut to have some bounce back once you press into it with your finger. If you try that, let me know how it works! I’m not very confident in my baking skills, but so long as you keep an eye on them, I can’t foresee it being any type of disaster :)

• Nicole says

Mine is a mini, too…I believe. It’s less than 4″ diameter, so I would go with the 8-9 minutes still..that worked perfectly for me!

• Nicole says

I know, right? Someone else asked this same question and I came up with this: I would fill the muffin tins just about 1/2 way, no more than 2/3rd and I would bake them at 400 F for 15 minutes and stick a toothpick in at that point. You want the toothpick to come out clean and the muffin/doughnut to have some bounce back once you press into it with your finger. If you try that, let me know how it works! I’m not very confident in my baking skills, but so long as you keep an eye on them, I can’t foresee it being any type of disaster :)

I’m thinking a mini doughnut pan should be my next “kitchenware purchase”. Great looking recipe Nicole. Thanks as always.

I just made these and they look and smelly YUMMY! I can’t wait to try them, the only question I had though is that I only had enough batter for 11 doughnuts, are doughnut pans different sizes?

• Nicole says

Hm. They are different sizes, but I would’ve guess that big of a difference. Mine are about 3 1/2-inch diameter, if that helps. Hope you love them!

• says

update: they turned out delicious! i do have to agree with the previous commenter, though – i followed the recipe exactly but only had enough batter for 14 donuts. i’m planning to post ‘em on my blog this week if you want to see a pic of them. =)

• Nicole says

I will definitely check them out on your blog! I think my donut pan may be on the smaller size. Glad you liked them, though!

Hi Lauri, my pan is a 6-hole, too. I would say the donuts are 3 inches in diameter…so on the smaller-ish side if you consider the size of store-bought donuts, but definitely not mini either. Hope that helps!