Potato Crust Quiche

Mornin’, Monday. Boo :(

I’ve been eating a lot of carbs for breakfast, leaving me hungry by 9am. I adore carbohydrates for breakfast – who doesn’t? But a higher protein start to my day is definitely helpful in keeping me full for longer. However. Whipping up eggs in the AM is just not going to happen. Enter: quiche!

I remember taking quiche to work a lot when we lived in Tulsa. My favorite recipe thus far has been a Spinach, Mushroom, Turkey Bacon, and Feta Quiche. So good and reheats beautifully for busy mornings and breakfast at your desk. But just as I had settled on a re-make of this quiche, Taste of Home sent out this recipe. The potato crust piqued my interest and ends up, it’s a winner!

You can really do any fillings you would like. The original recipe called for ham, but I opted to use the nitrate-free bacon I had in my fridge. It was in need of being eaten, so that only made sense. With asparagus in season, that would be a great route to go with a bit of Swiss cheese….yum! Lots of possibilities! But I am always a fan of sneaking veggies into breakfast!

Potato Crust Quiche adapted from Taste of Home

3 cups coarsely crcd.org.al/sports-betting-online shredded uncooked potatoes (about 3 medium) 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp salt

3 oz 2% cheddar or Colby cheese 1/2 cup chopped onion 5 slices roulette nitrate-free bacon, cooked 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets 3 eggs, lightly beaten 1 cup fat-free half-and-half 1/2 tsp salt dash ground nutmeg paprika

In a large responsible gambling bowl, combine crust ingredients; press into a well-greased 10-in. deep dish pie plate. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven; reduce heat to 350 F. Add cheese, onion, bacon, and broccoli to pastry shell. Whisk the general information eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg; pour over broccoli. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Information (for 1/6th of quiche): 262 calories; 7.5 g. fat; 155 mg. cholesterol; 662 mg. sodium; 36.6 g. carbohydrate; 2.5 g. fiber; 14.5 g. protein

Result: This was really unique, very filling, and very good! Again, the sky is the limit with what goodies you put in! You can certainly add more cheese and various varieties to spice this up, but I wanted to keep things on the lighter side. Looking forward to breakfast this week, that’s for sure! Enjoy!

Yesterday was more productive than I care to recall. My aching back will remind me that Mr. Prevention and I did all of our spring yard work and I am sore, sore, sore! At least it was a beautiful day to be outdoors, and I did have enough time to throw together a beautiful spaghetti & meatball dinner, followed up with a slice of carrot cake…homemade :)

I have been CRAVING carrot cake for at least a week now, and seeing as Cooking Light featured a recipe this month. Well, the rest is history… :)

Question: What do you like in your quiche?

Have a speedy week!

Comments

This quiche looks soooo good!! Can you believe I’ve never made a quiche?! I know, what kind of “foodie” am I?? I haven’t made quiche, but today I’m going to tackle yogurt with my new yogurt maker :) That would be good over a piece of quiche!

Oh, and by the way, Nick’s sister made carrot cake cupcakes for a celebration we had last night. After downing my meal at the Japanese Steakhouse I ate two and half cupcakes. And no, they weren’t small……I couldn’t stop!! Like you, I LOVE carrot cake! I’m thinking of having a CC wedding cake :)

I actually make scrambled eggs almost every morning. I find it easier than anything else really. Just crack two eggs into a pan, whisk and cook!

This potato crust idea has me dreaming of tater tot crusts…not as healthy for sure…but equally delicious? Only one way to find out! The filling in this quiche sounds delicious! And go you for indulging in your carrot cake craving! That’s the only way to live.

I’ve never made a quiche but I like how simple the crust is so I’m going to have to try this asap! Thanks for sharing!! I usually like any kind of veggies in my eggs but in particular? Kale or spinach + onion and garlic…the onion and garlic taste like butter to me! so good!

5. Liz says

I’ll eat almost anything in quiche form! I like a combination of something salty (ham, bacon) with veggies. I love the idea of the potato crust – mmm!

We did the same yesterday…I think I got a week’s worth of spring work done in one day!! haha its just been so miserable and then finally, a nice day! had to seize the moment.

The quiche looks incredible. I am really fond of the flavors of a classic quiche. I like the idea of the the potato crust. Might be a good dish for my easter brunch. I think I would make it in a 9 x 13 glass baker though, and then just cut into squares! thanks for the recipe!

I’m finding I need more protein at breakfast, too! I would gladly scarf down a big, fat bagel every morning, but then my body craves carbs all day! Which wouldn’t be a bad thing if my butt was not ginormous :)

I usually do a crustless quiche – but I like your addition of potatoes! Hands down – baby spinach and goat cheese and sausage. So.fricken.good – I have that on my menu this week, but think I’ll add your potato crust!

Happy Monday!

9. Kellie Weinhold says

Do you think sweet potatoes would work with the crust? Just stocked up on some, and this sounds like a delicious recipe. Thanks!

I like my quiche with spinach, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, and mushrooms. I LOVE the potato crust idea, that sounds so good. I never would have thought of that!

I love quiche!! My favorite ingredient is cheese, cheese and more cheese – any kind, I’m not picky! I tend to use whatever we have around the house – spinach, broccoli, green beans, tomatoes, etc. I usually make meatless quiche, but sometimes I throw in some bacon for a change.

12. Ashton says

My mom makes a sausage quiche for Christmas morning every year. It’s the only time we have it and it’s probably one of my favorite parts of the holidays!

This sounds so delicious! We don’t have FF Half and Half here in Calgary, so I am wondering if I can use milk instead? I realize it wouldn’t be as “creamy,” but would the recipe still turn out?

• Nicole says

Yep! I would either use regular half-and-half or whole milk…but it shouldn’t make too much a difference :)

14. Becca says

Yum! I can not believe a serving is less than 300 calories!

I feel like I did something wrong on the crust though, there was some flour that I couldn’t get to mix in, less flour maybe? I might add some garlic to the crust too? Thanks for a delicious breakfast or dinner!

Becca: I wish I could remember the recipe to have a better idea on the flour, I’m sorry! All I remember is we enjoyed it and I’m glad you did, too! :) Happy weekend!

Thanks for this recipe! It’s something I’d definitely make again, although I may sneak in something spicy next time to kick up the flavors.