The Answer to My Morning Predicament: Coffee Smoothie

Monday’s here…just fabulous, right? Well, even though Tuesday mornings aren’t much better – it can be brighter. Enter: Coffee Smoothie! Make it…if not today, then tomorrow.

You all probably know I am passionate about breakfast. And I am equally as passionate about coffee. A morning is not a morning without breakfast and coffee. Often, I like to make smoothies for breakfast. But then there’s the issue of which to have first — coffee or smoothie. Ideally, I like to drink my coffee with my breakfast (read: smoothie). But a car only has so many drink holders, folks. And I take my water bottle everywhere. So there I am, trying to walk into work with at least one purse/bag, often times a lab coat, my lunch, and then a smoothie, a coffee, and my water bottle (which is many times balanced between my thighs leaving a questionable residue of moisture near…my crotch). And there’s a reason my lab coat is no longer an untainted white…

Coffee Smoothie

1 large banana, frozen
2 strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 1/2 cups vanilla coconut milk or milk of choice
2 Tbsp instant coffee

Blend and serve! Yield: 1 large coffee smoothie.

Nutrition Information (per smoothie): 267 calories; 8 g. fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 24 mg. sodium; 48 g. carbohydrate; 5 g. fiber; 3 g. protein

Blend and serve! Yield: 1 large coffee smoothie.

Result: So good! I think there’s a lot of possibilities with this, too – adding peanut butter, brewed coffee, etc. The sky is the limit, but as a basic coffee smoothie, I’m lovin’ this. Pat on the back, self. :) Enjoy!

If you were busy over the weekend, I weighed in and was down a mere 0.2 lbs. But I did make a most amazing dinner on Saturday night – Coriander Tofu Tostadas with Refried Beans and Fennel. So, so good. Unanimously, my readers would also choose housekeepers over personal chefs. No wonder I’m so fond of you all ;)

The only thing between me and the Cubs vs. Reds game tomorrow in Cincinnati is 2 days of rounds. And class presentations tonight. I think I can, I think I can. Rest days today and tomorrow, hittin’ it hard Wednesday, Thursday, Friday…Saturday and Sunday, too :)

I’m off to make a coffee smoothie! My Monday morning just got a whole lot brighter :-D

Question: Does a coffee smoothie sound like a possible answer to your morning predicament, too?

It’s okay if it doesn’t ;)

Have a great week,

Comments

I have the same problem! I’ve also heard that drinking coffee before eating overtime increases one’s change of diabetes. :-?
    This is the perfect answer! I bet it would also be great spiked with some peanut flour! :-D

• Nicole says

Hm, I don’t think I’ve heard that, but hey…why not try? :)

Peanut flour sounds like a yummy, unique addition!

The picture alone makes me want to run make one! I have to have my coffee every morning, but usually before I ever eat anything. I love the idea of a coffee smoothie…and not just for breakfast!

I have been whipping up coffee smoothies relatively often lately. The recipe looks a lot like yours except I used brewed coffee (subbed in for half of the almond milk). Adding cocoa power + peanut butter + a scoop of oats, makes for an absolutely perfect start to the day!

fyi – I don’t do coffee, so you’ll need to bring some with you when you guys come. :) There are of course Starbucks a couple bus stops away, but probably not close enough for a morning craving :). I think they might have left me a coffee pot though! Will have to check my cupboards.

I’m a bit lost without coffee! And I love smoothies! Thanks for the idea to put instant coffee in there!!! Have a great day Nicole!!

6. Judi says

Who would have thought that coffee and banana would be so good? Well I’m here to tell you, it’s delicious! I made mine with brewed coffee and fat free milk. Thank you so much for the great idea. I got a magic bullet for my birthday and I’ve been smoothie-crazy! I’m going to have to try it with cocoa powder and/or peanut flour as suggested. Oh….I love your blog!

ooh, you must try my favorite – a coffee fraPROccino! I love making my protein shakes with iced coffee in the summer :) Fabulous with a banana thrown in too!

8. Mary Kay Steele says

I realize that this is an old post, but I came across it while doing a search on instant coffee in smoothies. I currently make a smoothie post am workout with 1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 scoop vanilla egg white protein powder, 1/2 pkt of Starbucks Via sweetened iced coffee, and 2 tblsp coconut french vanilla coffee creamer. It is soooo amazing! But, Starbucks uses sugar in their instant iced coffee so I was trying to figure out if I could use plain instant coffee without having to dissolve it in hot water first. I’m trying to eliminate sugar as much as possible and would sub Stevia instead. Have you had any problems with your coffee not dissolving properly??