Ultimate Sriracha Burger

If you’re a regular here, you know I recently went to The Thurman Cafe with my fellow dietitian friend and blogger, Gina. Though I don’t normally consider myself a burger person (or a red meat lover in general), having that burger that night really stirred up a craving.

And after recent accusations of my lack of grilling ;) …here…we…GO!

Ultimate Sriracha Burger recipe from The Sriracha Cookbook, as seen on Oishii and Cooking with Christen

1 lb ground beef, 92% lean 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce 4 Tbsp Sriracha, divided 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper 4 slices thick cut bacon 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/4 cup light bleu cheese dressing 4 whole wheat buns 4 slices reduced fat Swiss cheese 1 large tomato, sliced lettuce or arugula, if desired

Mix the ground beef, soy sauce, the black pepper and 2 tablespoons of the Sriracha. Form into four patties.

While the grill is heating up, heat a skillet over medium heat and fry up the bacon until crisp, break each piece in half and set aside. In the bacon grease, cook down the onion until caramelized then set it aside. In a small bowl, mix the bleu cheese dressing and the remaining 2 tablespoons Sriracha.

Cook the burgers on the grill until they are done to your liking, placing a slice of Swiss cheese on each just before they’re done so the cheese can melt. When done, toast your buns until lightly browned. Assemble your burgers. Yield: 4 large burgers.

Nutrition Information (per prepared burger): 478 calories; 22 g. fat; 90 mg. cholesterol; 1047 mg. sodium; 38.8 g. carbohydrate; 5.5 g. fiber; 38.3 g. protein

Result: Um, what a burger! These are no joke! Believe it or not, I shaved quite a bit of calories and fat from the original — lean, lean beef (and smaller patties), light bleu cheese dressing and Swiss cheese, and also much less bleu cheese dressing. In addition to whole wheat buns for the fiber. Next time I would also use turkey bacon if I had it on hand. While these are not low-calorie, they paired perfectly with a vinegar and olive oil-based slaw that was chock-full of fresh veggies, or a simple side salad would go great. You can certainly create a very, very satisfying meal for under 600 calories. Go lighter on the sodium throughout the day…you want to “spend” your sodium for the day on the Sriracha…so good!! P.S. I thought the Sriracha would be way too much…but nope. Delicious! Enjoy!

BAM!

If this aint a burger, I don’t know what is. Sometimes, you’ve just got to splurge.

Last night’s hockey skills & drills session was killer. Being on a team with all guys, I miss the bonding with female hockey players, so it was great to be back on the ice with all women. It’s also been since COLLEGE that I went through sets of skating drills and drawn-up plays. Unlike my Sunday games, we were moving almost 100% of the hour. When I pulled off my helmet in the locker room, my ponytail was DRIPPING sweat. Sexy, I know. Awesome workout…can’t wait for the next session :)

Off to work and then on the road! It’s my Friday (woo!) and I can’t wait to get to Chicago to see my family & friends :) And to attend my cousin’s wedding!

Question: What’s on your dream burger?

See you in Chicago,

Comments

I’m not a big meat eater, either… although I do confess to liking an occasional burger, too.

I’m a trad’l burger gal – cheese, pickles & ketchup. I save my tomato & lettuce for other veggie interests ;-)

This DOES look amazing!! Wowza! And only 600 calories? That beats Thurman’s approximate 1200 calories (I just made that up, but I’m guessing). I love the idea of adding soy sauce to a burger patty. So much flavor!

Have a great time in Chicago! Also, I e-mailed oyu about our dinner date. I suggested September 3rd instead, but I can’t remember if that was even an option. IF it wasn’t, no big deal we’ll keep the 2nd.

Wow….does that look like I want to take a bite right now or what? I have been becoming more and more friendly with Sriracha….who knew there was an entire cookbook devoted to the stuff? This is going in my must try file. I do love a good burger now and then. :)

enjoy the trip!

Okay, glad you said that 4 tablespoons of sriracha wasn’t too much – I was afraid of that – holy shizz, I am making these.

Hope you have a safe trip home – the weather is supposed to be pretty good – low 80’s! And yes, that was my shortest.post.ever! :D The stairmaster kicked my butt this morning!

These look absolutely incredible. Three of my favorite things are caramelized onions, bleu cheese, and bacon. This is my ideal burger! I’ve not yet been to Thurman’s, but it’s on our “to eat” list! I seriously want to make these burgers stat!

I’m not a big meat eater, but there seems to be one night every summer that I have a massive burger craving. This burger sounds perfect. I like that you used swiss cheese. I love swiss cheese, but I don’t think I’ve ever had it on a burger before.

Oh boy does that look like an incredible burger! I’m kind-of a wimp when it comes to spicy heat but I would definitely brave a burger that looks this good! Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and friends this weekend!

#1 That burger looks good. I still love a classic bacon cheese burger, but that thing looks so good with the blue cheese. I’ve never had Sriracha though. I’ll have to look into it.

#2 Nice job on the workout. Training is sports is such an awesome way to exercise while playing & having fun.