Crispy Potato Roast

This is one of those recipes that left me thinking, “Why didn’t I think of that?!” I mean, what’s more impressive than taking the bore of a humble spud, America’s favorite veggie, and making it into a stunning side?

But I didn’t think to thinly slice potatoes into chip form and bake them to a crispy perfection…I’m just so glad Stumble Upon turned up yet another fabulous idea and recipe for me. Oh, you’re not on Stumble Upon? Your loss.

Beware: Stumble Upon is highly, highly addictive.

With the holidays just around the corner, I can’t help but think of dishes that are candy to the eye. I would be honored to serve this side at my Thanksgiving or other holiday meal. The visual appeal is 5-star, don’t you think? ;)

…Good answer!

Crispy Potato Roast slightly adapted from Fish Food

2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 lbs russet potatoes
4 shallots, thickly sliced lengthwise
1 tsp coarse sea salt
8 sprigs thyme

Preheat oven to 375 F. In a small bowl, combine butter and oil. Brush bottom of a round 9-inch baking dish with some butter mixture. With a mandoline or food processor, slice potatoes very thinly crosswise.

Arrange potato slices vertically in dish. Wedge shallots throughout. Sprinkle with salt and brush with remaining butter mixture. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add thyme and bake until potatoes are cooked through with a crisp top, about 35 minutes more. Yield: 8 servings.

Nutrition Information (per serving): 175 calories; 6.1 g. fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 288 mg. sodium; 31.1 g. carbohydrate; 3.6 g. fiber; 4.8 g. protein

Result: Tender and crispy potato slices seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, and a small amount of olive oil and butter. Though this bakes for quite some time, it was very simple to make and requires very few ingredients. While a mandoline is helpful, this can certainly be done with a great knife and some patience :) Enjoy!

Class last night was…awesome. I loved getting back into the classroom, and a packed one at that! When I walked into the building, I asked if there was a copier I could use and the person at the front desk sent me to the one for students that you had to pay for. I had to go back and ask for the copier for faculty and he was so embarrassed. He was like, “I thought you were a student!!!” Yeah, I look young…I know, I know. And someday I’ll appreciate that, right? Well, that’s what I keep hearing, anyways.

Today is Medical Nutrition Therapy and Nutrition Care Process – FOUR HOURS of lecture, and then off to Chicago! Can’t wait!

See you in the Windy City!

Comments

It’s just so pretty! And I would totally mob on that if I saw it on a dinner table…lol

Have fun in the Chi this weekend! I sorta wish I was getting a relaxed weekend here and could meet up. :( And sadly it looks like rain for ya, but I’ll cross my fingers it isn’t so bad… :)

Dude, I am so not a potato person but this is truly crave-worthy. Love the presentation! I’m in the market for a new mandoline – do you love yours?

This potato dish is really beautiful, Nicole! It reminds me of hasselback potatoes, which is something I’ve been dying to make for a long time now…bookmarking!

Do you bake this uncovered? I’m assuming uncovered. You know, to get the crispiness.

People tell me that I look young a lot too, but I think it’s just because I still get acne and I look awkward and out of place all the time . . . kinda like a teenager. I still get carded all.the.time. which is a big deal here because the drinking age is only 19 and usually people stop getting carded at around 21 or 22.

• Nicole says

Hehe…I hear you! I’m only NOT carded if I’m with hubby who looks older than he is. And yep, uncovered it bakes away.

Beautiful picture! Last week I made the salt and vinegar potatoes with rosemary and they were awesome. Definitely adding this one to the recipes-to-make folder.

I need to get a mandolin… I feel that I’m seriously missing out on something. Those look so good that my youngest may actually eat them (she hates potatoes).

7. Stacey says

Looks delish! Just wondering…recipe asks for peeled potatoes but the pic looks like unpeeled. Does it matter? I prefer skin on.

8. Sandy says

Tried these tonight for Memorial Day get together – they were excellent!! Big hit! I did a little different set up – I put all the potatoes, shallots, and oil and butter mixture in a big mixing bowl and tossed it all together so that the shallots were evenly spread through and the butter oil mixture was spread around well, then I salted them, mixed some more, them set them up in the baking dish.
    I did use more butter and oil than the recipe calls for by double – the second full batch I poured over as I took it out if the over for serving – it made them just perfect!!
    Thanks for posting!!!!