SRC: Crispy Baked Breakfast Taquitos with Lime-Chipotle Dip

breakfasttaquitos1Happy Monday!

Today is a later post because it’s one of my favorite days…reveal day for The Secret Recipe Club! Blogs are swapped, decisions are made over what recipe to choose, and then hopefully, there’s fireworks going off in your mouth.

That’s how The Secret Recipe Club is supposed to go down and this month, it surely did. No doubt about it.

I was assigned the wonderful blog, The Double Dipped Life, written by Krista, a mother of 3 kids. Any woman who blogs about recipes and has 3 children is obviously a credible source for recipes aimed to please.

breakfasttaquitos2

I searched several times, mulled over several must-make recipes, and decided on these Crispy Baked Breakfast Taquitos. I chose good, let me tell you!

I grew up on taquitos from Market Day (Market Day, anyone??). Similar to Swanson’s and other pre-made family meals, Market Day aimed to please a crowd on a budget…but healthfulness was not of concern.

The dietitian in me came out with this one and I first tried to use corn tortillas vs. flour to include something more nutrient-dense and lower in calories. Sadly, that was a fail. As you can see…

breakfasttaquitos3I resorted to flour tortillas so that these remained functional finger food. Because if I’m being perfectly honest, finger food pleases any age or person, but especially me. I did, however, swap out the sour cream for 2% plain Greek yogurt and I decreased the amount of cheese, also opting for a part-skim or 2% variety. The egg mixture was easily able to fill 18 taquitos which meant 9 meals…or some for the freezer for a later date.

Two of these taquitos is a filling portion for the very appealing 324 calories!

breakfasttaquitos4While these are clearly very kid-friendly, they would be great to include in a brunch…or even as a breakfast-for-dinner to change things up. As noted below, go easy on the hot sauce and chipotle for the kiddos…they have more sensitive mouths than us big people.

Get creative with the dipping sauce. The chipotle and lime flavors worked great, but you could certainly mix in avocado, salsa, green onions, cilantro, and much, much more…the sky is the limit!

breakfasttaquitos5[print_this]

Crispy Baked Breakfast Taquitos with Lime-Chipotle Dip slightly adapted from The Double Dipped Life and Our Best Bites

non-stick cooking spray
12 large eggs
1 1/2 cups 2% plain Greek yogurt, divided
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup part-skim (2%) Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp hot sauce
18 (6-inch) flour tortillas
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder

Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray and set aside.

Crack eggs into large mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and head over medium heat. When skillet is hot, add egg mixture to pan. Using a rubber spatula, gently scrape bottom of pan and fold eggs over to scramble. Remove from heat when slightly undercooked. Add cheese, roasted red peppers, green onions, cilantro, and hot sauce to taste. Gently fold to combine.

Warm tortillas in microwave to ease rolling process. Working with a few tortillas at a time, place a scant 1/4 cup egg mixture into each tortilla and roll up into a cylinder. Place rolled tortillas on prepared baking sheet, seam-side down. When all tortillas are rolled and filled, lightly spray tops with cooking spray. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown and crisp.

Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 cup Greek yogurt, lime juice, chipotle chili powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine and store in fridge. Remove taquitos from oven , let cool for 5 minutes, and then serve with dipping sauce.

Yield: 18 taquitos (9 servings, 2 taquitos each with 2 tablespoons dipping sauce)

Nutrition Information (per serving): 324 calories; 11 g. fat; 298 mg. cholesterol; 780 mg. sodium; 33.9 g. carbohydrate; 4.4 g. fiber; 20.8 g. protein

Result: These were great – spicy, cheesy, crispy, and filling. I reheated these every morning last week for breakfast – preheat oven to 350 and warm for 7-9 minutes on a lined baking sheet. Supposedly, these can also be frozen and pulled out as needed. These were protein-packed and very kid friendly (just reduce the hot sauce). A winning recipe, for sure! Enjoy!

It’s hard to believe Spring Break is over and a new quarter starts today…well, technically tomorrow for my class. It’ll be good!

Clinic, workout, dinner…go! Have a great week! And be sure to check out the other SRC reveals from Group D!

Comments

When I have made taquitos in the past using corn tortillas I had that problem with them cracking too. I sprinkled a little water on them before microwaving that seemed to help. I love the idea of making these for breakfast!

Erin: I actually tried that, too…still no success. The tortillas were fresh, moist, and microwaved…no success :( Maybe I was just over-stuffing them ;)

Nope…never had taquitos…but I have definitely seen them on the Market Day flyer…and I ABSOLUTELY do Market Day!!! Even now that all of my kids are older and no longer go to elementary school! LOVE the chickNsteaks…..love them. If you pick and choose, you can find several healthy choices….you just have to be careful. Can’t beat their frozen broccoli either…both the chickNsteak and broccoli are staples in my house. Give Market day another look…they are much more health conscious now..of course you can still get the bad stuff if you want! Your version of breakfast taquitos look wonderful. You had me with the dip!

You know, there are some recipes you see and you think, “why didn’t I think of that?!” This is definitely one of those recipes! I love any type of Mexican food and I love breakfast, so this is a match made in heaven for me. And I, for one, appreciate your attempts to make it a little healthier!! I look forward to following you and going back through your archives to find other healthy recipes (:

Thanks, Danielle! That’s what I love to do…make the most appealing of recipes taste great with health and weight in mind :) Thanks for reading adn your sweet comment! :)

These look great! Growing up I was only exposed to the frozen tacquitos, which kind of grossed me out, so I never ate them. But these look amazing!

I’ve never had taquitos. Actually I just heard of them recently! They look so good and I’ve been wanting to give them a try for awhile now. Love that these can be frozen b/c they make a lot! Great pic for SRC!

OK, I’ve been wanting to try taquitos for ages now. I love your idea to use corn tortillas, I wish it worked :( I usually always prefer corn tortillas, plus how yummy would those be, all crispy? Mmm… Oh well. These look awesome! I will be trying them :D

These look amazing! I’m a huge fan of make ahead meals. :)

You were my SRC partner this time around and I have to say that I love your blog! You take such beautiful photos and try so many different things! I have to admit that it was really hard not commenting on your posts but I didn’t want to give it away.

I made your low fat granola bars: http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/src-prevention-rds-low-fat-granola-bars-with-bananas-cranberries-and-pecans/

Christine, so sweet! THANK YOU! I am so behind on blog-reading but I did check out your post, of course :) I really appreciate your sweet comment…made my day! :)

These look really good. I tried a breakfast burrito for the first time two years ago..I just couldn’t wrap my mind around eggs and tortillas mixing together, but once I tried it I really enjoyed it. I think I’d enjoy these even more because they’re crispy!

These look and sound amazing. Bummer about corn tortillas not working out, they are my favorite. But we happen to have some whole wheat flour tortillas that should work perfectly, will have to give them a try!

I just made chicken taquitos for the first time last week and they were a big hit in our house. Since we’re huge breakfast eaters in my house, these would be scarfed down in seconds! I am saving this one for the weekend!!
    This is my first visit to your blog and I love your photos! They are gorgeous! Nice to meet you and I look forward to reading more!

1. [...] – A+ Biscuits and Peppered Sausage Gravy – A+++ Cheesy Bacon Potato Frittata – A Crispy Baked Breakfast Taquitos with Chipotle-Lime Dip – A Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash – B Individual Veggie Frittatas – C [...]