Toasted Coconut Brussels

coconutbrussels2

People, and dogs, get into routines.

Lily has this new routine of coming upstairs at night and falling asleep in our closet (while getting a nice, thick coat of dog hair all over my clothes). I find this routine absolutely adorable…until she decides an hour later to get up, shake (making a loud noise from her collar tags), and then sauntering across our bathroom floor, dragging her toenails the whole way.

Then, she gets to the top of the stairs, right outside our bedroom, and lets out a big sigh. She then proceeds to hustle down the stairs, one step at a time, letting out a lazy, bulldog grunt with each step.

This is her routine as of late. It’s a lot cute, and a little annoying. I now take off her collar before she even gets upstairs…limits the loud noises when trying to sleep, at least.

coconutbrussels1

Brussels sprouts and I, we’re in a routine, too. It involves olive oil, salt, and pepper. So good, but so, so boring. When I saw this recipe, I was half intrigued, half skeptical. There was no denying my doubts. Coconut and brussels sprouts? Believe it…it works.

Just be sure to use unsweetened coconut. The buttery nuttiness from coconut is the flavor you’re bringing out, not a sweetness. But these flavors absolutely, positively work. Two of my favorite foods together? I have a new b’sprout routine!

Will you have a new sprout routine, too?

coconutbrussels3

Toasted Coconut Brussels adapted from How Sweet It Is

1 lb brussels sprouts, quartered
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
pinch of nutmeg
2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut, shredded

Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Add quartered brussels sprouts to a bowl and drizzle with coconut oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and nutmeg; toss. Sprinkle with coconut flakes.

Bake for 20-30 minutes until tender and beginning to brown. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (about 2/3 cup each).

Nutrition Information (per serving): 108 calories; 7 g. fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 144 mg. sodium; 9.8 g. carbohydrate; 3.5 g. fiber; 3 g. protein

Result: Nutty and buttery with a touch of coconut flavor. These are a fun twist on your average roasted brussels sprout recipe. Simple to make, healthy, and sure to please any brussels sprout and coconut-lover! Enjoy!

TGIF. It’s been a long week with a lot of computer issues. I lost EVERYTHING on my computer (stop reading now, back up your ‘puter!) two weeks before finals and then showed up to class last night to a computer-less classroom and had to improvise. My “lecture” was rather fun and my students even decided we would go out for hibachi as a class after the final. What a great group – love’em :)

Happy almost weekend!

xo,

Comments

Sorry to hear about your computer. Remember when I went through that as I was writing my thesis for grad school?! It was a nightmare. Needless to say, I back up about once every other week.
    I love this recipe because it has coconut and I can just see Nick LOVING this (he isn’t a Brussel sprout fan). Although, sadly, it would be my worst stomach nightmare. I love brussel sprouts SO MUCH, they just don’t love me :(

Sorry to hear about your computer!

I had that happen to me in grad school so when I started grad school again, I started using carbonite – it is an online subscription (I think about $50/year – totally worth it in my opinion) and every time something is saved on the computer, it is backed up. You can even “sign into” your computer from any other computer to see your documents.

It is awesome!

Brussels sprouts are one of those veggies that when done wrong are absolutely nasty but when done right are delicious. This looks 100% right in my book — coconut is never wrong! :)

Our dog sleeps in our bedroom closet when Tony is in the hospital – but I never thought to take off his color because he shakes in there!

My MIL and SIL LOVE brussel sprouts – I’ll have to send them this link.

I love brussels sprouts, and I always cook them in coconut oil. Coconut and brussels sprouts go perfect together.

That story about Lily is freaking adorable. I love her.
    Lexie has a routine every morning of walking me to the door after I drop her off at my parents house. Unless my mom is staying home for the day. I don’t know how she knows the difference, but if she rcan somehow tell that my mom is in bed, and not just getting dressed or something. When that happens, she runs right past me to break into the bedroom and climb in bed with my mom. I’d be offended if it wasn’t the sweetest thing ever.

Sorry about your computer! That is the worst. I need to back up more often. I did it forever ago.
    These sprouts look just delightful!! YUM! I will definitely be giving them a try since usually I eat them roasted.

I have to say that I’ve avoided brussel sprouts my whole life… these guys though are the first ones to tempt me… I think it might be the coconut! But I’m actually tempted!
    So sorry about the computer, I know how hard that can be. I’m backing up!

Perfect for my friends and family who are always saying, “Cara, I want to make your recipes, but what the heck am I supposed to do with all those expensive ingredients after I make one recipe?”