Whole Wheat Baked Banana Doughnuts with Chocolate Ganache

bananaganachedonuts1

Where to begin?

Firstly, I’m trying to one-up my cute and adorable dog with doughnuts. Puppies, babies, and…let’s go ahead and add doughnuts to this list. Everyone loves puppies, babies, and doughnuts. But unlike puppies and babies, doughnuts are much less demanding…especially when they don’t threaten things like cardiac arrest and obesity.

bananaganachedonuts2

I think what was wrong with my yesterday is that I had no more of these Whole Wheat Baked Banana Doughnuts with Chocolate Ganache. What a run-on recipe title of epic proportions, huh? P.S. they were all-around epic.

Yesterday was kind of a rough day. To say I’m ready for this quarter to be over is quite the understatement. Exam-making takes for-ev-er. I’ve been up way past my 10pm bedtime (don’t laugh at me…laugh at Mr. Prevention who calls it quits between 8 and 9pm. Who am I kidding…I’m really just jealous).

But at 5:30pm yesterday, I dug deep. With some inspiration from my plea on Facebook for some workout motivation, got my run in. Three-and-a-half miles of a sweat session while catching up with my nearly full DVR was just what I needed.

bananaganachedonuts5I jetted up the basement stairs and straight to my laptop…to log my hard-earned miles into Daily Mile (#addicted). I happened to get a message alerting me of something that would turn my bad-turned-okay day into a super duper day…

Prevention RD was nominated on Fitness Magazine’s website for “Best Healthy Eating Blog”! I am flattered and shocked and filled with appreciation for those that read, comment, and take the time to nominate my little blog for such a title. THANK YOU!

bananaganachedonuts4

Truly, thank you. It’s hard to believe the love I’ve grown for writing, cooking, nutrition, disease prevention, and heck…even photography has reached as far and wide as it has.

Healthy living and healthy cooking is so much a part of who I am and what I do, that it only seems natural to share what I know and what I love with others.

Oh that mushy, gushy note…I bring you these doughnuts, with their little St. Patty’s Day sprinkles. Between the whole wheat (pastry) flour, banana, healthy oil, and wheat germ…these doughnuts offer up stellar taste and nutrition. As for the ganache? Well, that’s the splurge in this doughnut. ;)

I can officially say, the only thing that would’ve made yesterday any better would’ve been having just one of these leftover to enjoy!

bananaganachedonuts3

Whole Wheat Baked Banana Doughnuts with Chocolate Frosting crcd.org.al/sports-betting-online adapted from Flour’s Famous Banana Bread – Flour, Joanne Chang and Top with Cinnamon

6 Tbsp sugar 1 egg 1/2 cup over-ripe banana, mashed (about 1 1/2 small bananas) 3 Tbsp canola oil 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1 Tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt 1/4 tsp salt 1/8 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp baking roulette powder 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour 1 Tbsp wheat germ (optional, can replace with 1 Tbsp flour)

3 oz (heaping 1/3 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips 3 Tbsp heavy responsible gambling cream

Preheat your oven to 350 general information F, and spray doughnut pan with cooking spray.

Whisk together the egg and sugar until light and pale, about 10 minutes. Stir in the banana, oil, vanilla and yogurt.

Sift in the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, flour and wheat germ (or flour). Stir together until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared doughnut pan, filling wells 1/2 way, and bake for 10-12 minutes.

While the doughnuts bake, put the cream in a microwave-safe bowl and warm for 30-45 second. Pour the cream over chocolate and let it sit for 2 minutes to melt the chocolate. Stir the mixture together. If the mixture is not smooth, microwave for about 10 seconds and mix again. Repeat, if needed.

Remove the doughnuts from the pan and let them cool. Once cool, dip them into the chocolate ganache. Store the doughnuts in an airtight container.

Yield: 12 doughnuts.

Nutrition Information (per doughnut): 143 calories; 7.2 g. fat; 23 mg. cholesterol; 114 mg. sodium; 18.8 g. carbohydrate; 1.7 g. fiber; 1.3 g. protein

Result: Mr. Prevention noted right away that this ganache is RICH! I cut back on the heavy cream quite a bit and got great results. I would certainly use half and half next time — I just happened to have the heavy cream on hand and knew that skim milk wouldn’t mix in without the fat. I’m placing these doughnuts in my top 3, for sure…they are GOOD!

Today is crazy, CRAZY busy…but you can find me on cloud 9. :)

Lots of love,

Comments

I am so excited and proud of you, girl! If anyone deserves this it’s you for all the REAL food you post that always looks so good! Unlike some of the other blogs that were nominated…but I won’t name names. :P

I wish I had one of these doughnuts to celebrate also. And a doughnut pan to make them in. sigh.

Best healthy eating blog and you post donuts?! hahaha, jk. I mean, they ARE whole wheat! And, those shamrocks are AWESOME! I have to show this to Nick, who is technically a “Shamrock” having grown up in Dublin!

I voted for you and I wish you the BEST of luck!! You totally deserve this honor, Nicole!!

Oh, and we go to bed at 9:30pm on most nights. So, we’re complete losers too. And so proud. 8pm, however? Yikes.

I know, how timely with the donuts! I had another recipe planned, but I had such a good story to go with that one, I had to hold off :)

Thanks, Gina! And I just saw your post today…I can’t wait to read it! :) Happy weekend!

Congrats!! That’s such an awesome surprise. I’ve loved reading/viewing/making your recipes these past few months. This one sounds to die for. Might just need to buy myself a doughnut maker. Or start topping my banana muffins with choc. ganache!

xoxo, love. Thank you! And yes, cats need to be on that list. I’m a cat convert. My dad is so allergic he brainwashed me to hate them. But, in fact, I really, really love them…and want one. But then he would never be able to come inside my house. SO…ALLERGIC!!

Congrats on the nom! Well deserved! And I’ve been sad there haven’t been any more early college basketball games. We generally don’t do breakfast if the game is after 1:00, so I haven’t gotten to make donuts in forever! Sadness.

I always love your doughnut recipes, they look so amazing. They are so healthy and yet you make them look sooooo good. Plus, with that ganache I’m sure they’re incredible Also… I still can’t get to your facebook page. Is that like the weirdest thing ever? I have no idea why :(

Heidi, shoot me over an email with your last name…it looks like I can do it that way via private message on Facebook. Complicated!!

Oh, hugs! A HUGE congrats to you, sweetie!! I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more.

Love the doughnuts — they are adorable!

Congratulations! You work so hard on your blog, you deserve to be recognized. I am so excited for you!

These doughnuts look incredible. My husband will love you for these :)

8. michele says

I’m beyond excited that this blog, which has personally given me such inspiration to lead a healthier lifestyle, has been recognized by others and nominated for such an award. See Nicole, you really ARE making a difference in people’s lives……….one yummy, healthy mouthful at a time! A mountain of congratulations to you! Now that I have a doughnut pan, I’m eager to try this new recipe…….anything with chocolate on top is good in my book!

9. Claire says

I made these this morning and they were very tasty – not nearly as pretty as yours but the second batch I baked longer and they turned out better — I also loved the light fettuccine Alfredo we have had that a couple times – so good :)

1. [...] like to use that new donut pan I had been so excited about. I did some searching and stumbled upon PreventionRD.com’s recipe for Whole Wheat Baked Banana Doughnuts with Chocolate Ganache, and decided to adapt it a bit. And that’s how these baked beauties came to fruition! I heart [...]