Meatless Monday: Meyer Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal

blueberryoatmeal1

Remember how I kept bragging about the 1 pound bags of Meyer lemons I kept scoring for $1.50 at my local Kroger?

They’re all gone. :(

This was the very last dish I made with the last of my Meyer lemons. No frets, however…this recipe can be made with just your average lemon, too. It may be the better part of a year before Meyer lemons come back around…

blueberryoatmeal5

I made this baked oatmeal on a Sunday morning to enjoy reheated all week long. Does the photo below not look like the perfect Sunday morning? A healthy, fiber-rich, antioxidant-packed breakfast with a stack of cooking magazines to thumb through and savory the moment…and every bite. Ahhhh. Weekends.

When Monday morning rolled around, I went about my usual morning routine. I packed my lunch…and my breakfast to-go.

blueberryoatmeal2

I got to work, caught up with emails and ventured to the kitchen to reheat my leftover Meyer Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal for breakfast. One of my coworkers was sitting down eating breakfast and as I proudly and very excitedly pulled my oatmeal from the fridge, I popped off the lid of the tupperware to show-off my breakfast.

Within a split second, my beautiful breakfast had slipped out of my grip and…SPLAT! It was all over the kitchen floor at work.

If I’m being perfectly honest, I considered the 5-second rule. But given that I work in a dialysis clinic and we work with all sorts of body fluids, I quickly decided that was not an option.

blueberryoatmeal4

I pouted. My co-worker laughed. Eventually, I joined in with a laugh.

I grabbed a cup of coffee in hopes of subduing my hunger until an early lunch, but come 10am, I was growling. The only thing to save me was a slice of cold pizza that was leftover from a meeting the Friday prior.

Let me tell you, that slice of pizza had NOTHING on this oatmeal. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I’ve made several baked oats, and this is certainly one that tops the charts for me. I’m glad to say the remaining servings made it into the microwave…and into my belly :-D

blueberryoatmeal3

Meyer Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal adapted from Babble by Mo’Betta

1 Meyer lemon, zested and juiced
2 cups nonfat milk
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.

Zest lemon; set zest aside. In a bowl, combine milk and juice from the zested lemon to make “buttermilk”.

In a medium bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, salt, spices, and lemon zest. In a small bowl, whisk together the “buttermilk”, butter, egg, and sugar.

Spoon half of the oat mixture into the baking dish, and then half of the blueberries. Add the remaining oat mixture and scatter the remaining blueberries on to the top, pressing them in slightly. Pour in the milk mixture and place in oven.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the mixture is a light golden brown along the edges, and the center has set up.

Yield: 4 large servings.

Nutrition Information (per serving): 399 calories; 10.5 g. fat; 49 mg. cholesterol; 486 mg. sodium; 67 g. carbohydrate; 7 g. fiber; 12.3 g. protein

Result: Filling, packed with fiber, and rich in antioxidants! This is simple to make and reheats great for weekday breakfasts. Enjoy!

I am training my replacement today…bittersweet! It’s hard to believe that our movers will be here two weeks from today…

Have a great week!

Comments

No joke, I WOULD have cried!
    This sounds amazing. Can you believe I don’t think I’ve ever had a meyer lemon?? I know they taste different than regular ones, only because I’ve read it on your blog AND Paul Qui mentioned them yesterday (I thought of you, by the way).
    Ok, so Friday the 15th, we’re on!

• says

@Gina: Wait, do you know Paul Qui, the Top Chef??

@Nicole This baked oatmeal looks SO good : d
      I am definitely a proponent of the 5 second rule in most situations, especially since my grandmother lived with us as a child and kept our floors immaculate.

Lemon and blueberries work so well together – no wonder this baked oatmeal turned out amazingggg! I would have freaked if I had dropped this all over the floor. Thank goodness it was just one serving and not the whole pan! :-P
    Have a great week, Nicole!

Joy: Absolutely! I would’ve used coconut milk or almond milk had I had some on hand…and the flax egg I never have issues with :)

3. Katie says

As someone who plans my breakfast well beforehand, I love baked oatmeal. This looks absolutely fabulous and will definitely be made tonight for my breakfast the rest of the week. I love to reheat it and add a splash of milk before eating. Thanks for a great recipe!

Next time blueberries go on sale, definitely making this! Sorry that it fell – I’ve had that happen too – one time with a bowl of ramen noodles – I tripped and noodles went flying all over my cubicle that I shared with three other people – it took me 45 minutes to clean it up!

Happy Monday – I am sure these next two weeks are going to fly!

5. Karen says

The baked oatmeal looks amazing! I love the lemon/blueberry combo of flavors. I am very fortunate to have a Meyer Lemon tree in my backyard. Believe it or not, our lemons yield anywhere from 1/2-1 cup of juice – they are the size of grapefruit! Could you give the approximate amount of juice you use in your recipe?

6. Hercheyk says

This looks delicious! Any ideas for modifying it so it doesn’t require the oven? I know, that defeats the purpose of a BAKED oatmeal, but with temps already in the upper 90s and low 100s where I live, I’m trying to avoid turning on the oven at all costs.

Hmmm!! The grill might be a fun try! You could also try over the stove. It would be a completely different consistency, but not in a bad way!

Oh my goodness, this looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Do you think it could be prepared the night before, and then put in the oven to bake the next morning? I’m always looking for different breakfasts I can make for my husband without having to get up so early in order to have it ready on time. Thanks for the great idea!

Absolutely this can be thrown together the night before. You may need to add a touch more milk, or decrease the baking time by 5-10 minutes, but I see both of those as perks to making ahead :)

8. Karen says

I want to try this on the weekend. I’ve made a few baked oatmeals before, but I think this one will be a keeper. Too bad about the oatmeal on the floor – I bet your lunchroom smelled wonderful though!

Yum! I love baked oatmeal and I really love the flavor combo. I seriously would have cried if that happened to my oatmeal. There’s nothing more disappointing than looking forward to eating something yummy and then… :(

Holy crap that looks good! I have been looking around for easy, portable breakfasts to take with me to class and this is the clear winner. I MUST make this! Hopefully my dairy free substitutions will work…

I knew I would find something perfect when I checked your blog. :)

Mmm, I’ve been loving baked oatmeal recently and yours looks delicious! I’ve never considered putting blueberries inside, what a great idea. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

this looks awesome! I love breakfast you can make on the weekend and enjoy in a hurry all week long. Thanks for the inspiration; can’t wait to give this recipe a try (:

This was really wonderful Nicole. The blueberries are a burst of sweetness.
    I made half a recipe, and I’m really glad I did – the full size portions must be huge! For anyone else who might halve the recipe… it made 4 completely full ramekins, baking for 20-25 minutes.
    Thanks for a great breakfast!

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! The portions are VERY generous, yes…I just always have a hard time getting an 8×8 pan into 5 pieces ;) And, breakfast is probably my biggest meal of the day. Thanks for the feedback and for the ramekin adaptation – I will definitely use that! :)

14. Beth says

I am trying this with blueberries, a regular lemon, and peaches. I doubled the fruit, but nothing else since I usually half topping ingredients in cobblers and such. It is in the oven right now. Will let you know how it turns out. Smells awesome. Found you through Pinterest.

Hi Beth! Sounds delicious! Baked oatmeal is so adaptable – I’m sure it’ll turn out great! Thanks for your sweet note :) Hope you find some other recipes you love!

15. Jessica Gossett Hale says

Just wondering if you have added anything like walnuts or maybe some bananas to the oatmeal? My his and is I obessed with McDonalds Blueberry Banana Walnut oatmeal and I am trying to find something like it to make him. Something healthier and cheaper.

16. Joanna says

I tried your baked oatmeal recipe today and my 2 kids and I enjoyed it. I changed the recipe a little to make it vegan and sugar free.

I made this yesterday for the first time (immediately after finding it on Pinterest!), and I love it!! I love the blueberry/lemon combo, and I like the texture of the oatmeal. I like regular oatmeal anyway, but I can appreciate that this is a little less slimy & more fluffy. This is a recipe I will be making over & over! :)

Michelle: I have to agree – this is a wonderful recipe and the texture is just perfect. I love that I can eat this throughout the week and add some warm milk…mmM! :)

18. Jennifer says

I made this baked oatmeal this morning, but tripled it for my 14 guys. They loved it. I loved it. And it’s gluten-free, which my son needs. Thanks for sharing your recipe and your story!

OK – so I was so excited for this. I pulled out my ingredients and was disappointed that I had just a smidgen of old fashioned oats. However, I did have steel cut. So – I knew I had to give more moist for less oats. I used 1 c steel cuts oats for the same 2 c of milk. I also added about 1/4 c of flour to give it some structure. I also knew, just my preference, I didn’t want too many berries so I cut that back to 1 c. It turned out amazing!! Kind of like your bowl of oatmeal met a dish of cobbler. The flavor was out of this world. Thanks for sharing!!

20. Elizabeth Zdrodowski says

This is about to go into the oven….I’m using Splenda instead of sugar and a regular lemon instead of Meyer (I don’t think I’ve ever had a Meyer lemon). Hope it’s still yummy even with my changes. :-)

21. AshleyJ says

Whoa! This was great. My 6yo made it with me before bed, so that it’d be microwave-ready for an early breakfast the next morning. It was a hit. Even my oatmeal-hatin’ 5yo son gobbled down two servings!

22. Renee says

This sounded so good and I had a lemon that needed to be used and some frozen mixed berries. Unfortunately I was short on the amount of oatmeal. Added farina to make up the difference. It worked, although not quite as wonderful as it would have been without.

23. Roseann says

Hi there,

I saw your recipe on pinterest and tried it this morning at work, for my colleagues. I’m not sure where I went wrong but it turned out like dried porridge and nothing like the delicious granola type oatmeal in your picture! I doubled the recipe and I used porridge oats, I don’t know if these are different than old fashioned rolled oats. Can you shed any light on my disaster?

Thanks.

Oh no! Roseann, I believe porridge oats are steel cut oats. They’re VERY different from old fashioned. I feel pretty confident that if you tried this again with the correct oats, you’d love it :) I’m sorry!

1. [...] and Flaxseed Waffles (or Pancakes) – A+ Mega Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies {vegan} – A+ Meyer Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal – A+ Meyer Lemon Ricotta Pancakes {Classy Protein Pancakes} – A+++ Mocha Granola [...]

2. [...] them by. The juicy, sweet lemons are absolutely divine and I think up ways to put a new spin on Meyer Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal, Meyer Lemon Cheesecake, Meyer Lemon Gelato, Meyer Lemon Blueberry Tart, Meyer Lemon Bars, or Meyer [...]

3. […] blueberry lemon baked oatmeal (modification: used thawed frozen strawberries and fresh banana, since recipe failed to mention it, I added sugar to dry mix and butter to wet mixture, next time: use a bit more sugar/cinnamon/nutmeg, add way more lemon juice and zest, ignore melting the butter and just crumble some btwn the layers to add crunch)Recipe link:preventionrd.com […]

4. […] blueberry lemon baked oatmeal (modification: used thawed frozen strawberries and fresh banana, since recipe failed to mention it, I added sugar to dry mix and butter to wet mixture, next time: use a bit more sugar/cinnamon/nutmeg, add way more lemon juice and zest, ignore melting the butter and just crumble some btwn the layers to add crunch)I found it here: preventionrd.com […]