No-Bake Sweet & Salty Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

pbpretzelbars1

If you believe in prayer, I would like to recruit you for just a moment.

You see, yesterday, my laptop died. It just wouldn’t come on. It went from working just fine, to unresponsive.

I went from having a cookbook…to no cookbook at all.

I am taking my unresponsive heart and soul to work today to beg and plead IT to take a look at it.

pbpretzelbars2

I moped around the house all day yesterday when I should have been whipping up a batch of these to improve my chances with IT. Hm. That’s what I get for being in such a slump all day. Let’s call it depression, because…it was. It is.

Mr. Prevention and I went to a few different stores and I am the trying-to-be-proud new owner of a Samsung that is about 3x cooler than my last laptop (really), but I won’t feel that way until I have my months of hard work back in my hands.

The CRAZIEST part is…I was going to back up my computer YESTERDAY. Ever since embarking on this cookbook adventure, I knew I was working with a somewhat unreliable, on-its-last-leg, POS computer that I should REALLY back-up. Ever since losing my 8 page research paper on the red fox in 4th grade, I still haven’t learned to be smart and back things up…timely.

pbpretzelbars3

Wah wah, I know.

So today, I can’t bring you any healthy (coffee and sugar are all I could bear yesterday)…I bring you the dessert I made for Mr. Prevention’s birthday and the dessert I should have gotten my rear in gear to make for IT. Computer Gods, feel pity upon me today!!!!

As if you need any reinforcement that peanut butter plus sugar plus chocolate plus butter plus pretzels is worth every last sweet & salty  calorie…these were delicious!

pbpretzelbars4

No-Bake Sweet & Salty Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars from Very Best Baking

Nonstick cooking spray 2 cups natural creamy peanut butter, divided 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 2 cups powdered sugar, divided 4 cups pretzel twists, divided 2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate morsels, divided

Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment leaving an overhang on the sides. Lightly spray parchment with nonstick cooking spray.

Beat 1 1/4 cups peanut butter and butter in large mixing bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup powdered sugar. Stir in remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 cups pretzel that have been broken into small piece (the smaller the better) and 1/2 cup morsels. Press evenly into prepared baking pan. Smooth top with spatula.

Microwave remaining 1 1/2 cups morsels and 3/4 cup peanut butter in medium in a microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted. Spread chocolate layer evenly over powdered sugar mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining pretzels that have been broken into pieces, pressing down lightly. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; peel off parchment. Store in covered container in refrigerator.

Yield: 60 pieces

Nutrition Information (per piece): 121 calories; 8.2 g. fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 78 mg. sodium; 11.3 g. carbohydrate; 1.0 g. fiber; 2.6 g. protein

Result: Rich, decadent, simple, classic…HEAVENLY. A lot of mouths enjoyed these. The portion is size is small but the impact is lasting! These are so simple to make and keep well in the fridge for days. Enjoy…in moderation!

Today…will be a better day.

Comments

Oh my, so….you still don’t know about the cookbook? UGh. Well, my offer from my e-mail still stands, let me know if you need friends to gather and help you re-type the book!!

Meanwhile…..let me drool over these bars. HOLY COW, YUM! And, tell Mark I said Happy Birthday!!

I feel your pain – I lost all of the pictures from the first 9ish months of Lily’s life when my computer crashed and I hadn’t backed it up. It’s completely heartbreaking when it happens. I hope you have better luck than I did and are able to get your cookbook back!

Ugh nothing worse than computer problems! I hope they’re able to recover your data!! If IT knows they’ll be rewarded with these bars, I’m sure they’ll work all the magic they possess! These look AMAZING. Good luck!

Oh man that is terrible news. My laptop just died a few months ago but luckily I didn’t have anything important on it. I’m crossing my fingers everything works out for you.

Side note: my dad just got back from a weekend trip to Sagatauk MI and was actually in St. Joseph too.

Oh no! I hope the POS computer heard you call it that and will come back to life and say “no I am not!”

Sending good thoughts!! I make the gift goodie bags for my office Christmas lunch – yes, my boss already has me booking a party that is 2 months away! These will definitely be included, except in the guy that can’t do nuts! That’s okay – more for the rest of us!

Hope today is better!

Nicole, I’m so sorry about your computer and your hard work trapped inside :( I’ll cross every finger and toe that I have that your cookbook can be retrieved from the POS computer. Keep us updated and let us know if we can help (type up something, whatever you need).

Times like these call for a sweet treat, and these bars look so fantastic, I can’t wait to make them. Here’s hoping today is a better day!

7. STH says

If it just wouldn’t start up at all, it’s probably NOT a hard drive problem, so don’t lose hope! Crossing my fingers for you!

I think if there’s anything that could cure a sad heart at least for a short time, it’s these.

But in all seriousness, I am really praying and hoping that your computer gets saved. Big hugs!

Oh CRAP!!!!!! I’m sending “please recover my documents” vibes your way. I know when I thought I’d lost some photos, my heart sank. I can only imagine how awful that is….your cookbook is your baby!!!! Hang in!!!!! And keep us posted.

10. Audrey says

So…I got to this website from Foodgawker cause the bars looked really good. I get to a website about eating healthy? Yes, you are confused because 2 cups of powdered white sugar in ANY recipe is ridiculous…..have you any idea what that does to your body? What is Prevention RD? Hope it’s not a “healthy” cookbook you are writing.

Aw!! I’m so behind that I’m just reading this now so I have no idea what happened with it but I’m so hoping you got all your work back!! I’m going to go read some of your more recent posts… Your bars look great!

That’s awesome about your laptop and I’m so sorry to hear it happened – how stressful when you’re in the middle of a big project like a book… On the flip side, I’m so glad you shared these pretzel bars – they look marvelous and I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution as always). Thanks for continuing to inspire me with your creations…

13. Kathy says

I am so sorry you lost all your stuff. That is usually the way it goes, plan on backing it today, but first the computer is gone. I do have a thought for you as I am looking at your recipe and story about your computer. Go out and find all the people that have “pinned You on “Pinterest”? You may be able to find a lot of your recipes from your followers! Just a thought for you. Thanks for this recipe, hope you find all the others Kathy

14. Stephanie says

I made these. I wanted to like them, but they were an absolute horror show. They were impossible to cut, fell all apart, and I wound up eating a couple of “pieces” (hunks? mini-handfuls?) over the garbage can and then tossing the rest. Did it taste good? Yeah, sure. I mean, butter, peanut butter, sugar, pretzels and chocolate are GOING to taste good, but they weren’t worth the mess or the subsequent shame-spiral.

Hope your computer stuff worked out!

1. [...] but my world as I knew it can resume rotating on its axis and I can eat something other than chocolate and drink something other than caffeine. And hopefully, my November 1st cookbook deadline will be [...]

2. [...] No-Bake Sweet & Salty Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars – A+ Peach-Pineapple Crumble – A Peanut Butter Cup Blondies – A++ Peanut Butter Fudge – A+ Pear-Cherry Crisp – A+ (also a breakfast item!) Peppermint Cheesecake Brownies – B Peppermint Oreo Truffles – A+ Pumpkin Cupcakes with Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting – A+ Pumpkin Pie Bars – A [...]