Buffalo Chicken Salad

buffalochickensalad1

I’m having the time of my life. Donna and I have laughed til we’ve cried and her cat, Glacier, has melted my heart. Let’s not till Lily, okay? It’s hard to believe I’m heading home today and back to work tomorrow. Time really does fly when you’re having fun.

Donna and I started yesterday with a long walk. You know how women can get…blah blah, blah blah…blah blah. And we love every. single. second of it. It’s a blessing and a curse, I tell you!

We were jabbering on so much we were nearly running late for my return to my old dialysis unit. While much of the staff I worked with were off or at different clinics, I did get to catch up with some of my old patients and old coworkers I missed most. It was a great feeling to know that when I left about a year ago with the unknown goodbyes of, “I’ll see you soon!”…it came to be.

buffalochickensalad2

Donna and I traveled most of upper Ohio yesterday as we then headed from nearly Columbus to the southern part of Cleveland for my speaking engagement with Cleveland Dietetic Association and all of their wonderful students, RD’s, DTR’s, and other nutrition professionals. To this day, there is something so empowering about a group of nutrition professionals who all have different strengths and interests who all come together and learn about topics related to nutrition.

Cleveland, you were wonderful (I even received a  applause when my cookbook popped up!!! :-D)! And since I asked nicely, they didn’t throw things at me after sharing that I now reside in Michigan ;)

I think my favorite part of my talk was when I was sharing our evening routine, i.e. when I put a meal on the table and Mr. Prevention either 1) complains about my offerings and/or 2) can hardly pull himself away from the TV or his laptop to be bothered with eating dinner. Meanwhile, I am dragging around dinner, in all of its staged beauty, to the best lighting in the house on one of my beloved, over-sized cutting boards while trying to snap some shots with one hand and keeping the dog out of my dinner with the other. You won’t see those skills on any job application check boxes…but my goodness are they ever!

buffalochickensalad3

Apparently…people could relate to the 3-ring circus that goes down in my house every night. I’m confused as to why, but being away from the madness of such insanity for nearly a week now makes a girl miss it! Or at least miss the healthy eats.

What makes the circus more manageable is, in fact, quick meals.

I’ve been craving chicken salad for quite some time and wouldn’t you know that Pinterest had something right up my alley…and Mr. Prevention’s. The word “buffalo” tends to curb the complaining and expedite the “get-to-the-table-NOW” process. Heck, it may even earn me a, “Thanks, babe…let me do the dishes!”

I’m so dreaming on that last part…

buffalochickensalad4

Buffalo Chicken Salad slightly adapted from The Novice Chef

5 oz non-fat plain Greek yogurt 1/3 cup Franks Red Hot Wings Buffalo sauce 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken lealjunior.com.br/?p=bonus-sem-deposito breast, shredded 2 celery stalks, finely chopped 1/2 cup cilantro, minced 1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled blue cheese

In a large bowl, free whisk together yogurt buffalo sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir in chicken, celery, cilantro, and blue cheese. Refrigerate until serving or up to 5 days in the fridge.

Yield: ~ 4 cups chicken dealer salad (~8 servings, 1/2 cup each)

Nutrition Information join now (per 1/2 cup): 100 calories; 2.5 g. fat; 34 mg. cholesterol; 381 mg. sodium; 1.6 g. carbohydrate; 0.25g. fiber; 16.3 g. protein; 1.0 g. sugar

Result: A very quick meal with us poker sites lots of spicy wing flavor. Using Greek yogurt versus mayonnaise helps to reduce both the calories and carbohydrates while the 1, 2 punch of the wing sauce and blue cheese is heavenly…if you know, that’s your thing ;) Enjoy!

Bye, Ohio…my old home. It was fun. See YOU back in Michigan. xoxo.

Happy Birthday to my dad :)

sig4

Comments

1. Nan Miller says

Hi Nicole, I was fortunate to hear you speak last night at the Cleveland Dietetic Association meeting. The topic was fresh, extremely informative, and useful both to the new students/graduates and slot machines online old timers like me that have been practicing for 25+ years! The best part is I’m from Cleveland, lived in Columbus for 5 years and graduated from the University of Michigan, GO BLUE!! I’m so excited to follow you on your blog/face book and experiment with your recipes and cookbooks. Thank you! Nan

Nan, that’s so sweet of you to say. I had such a blast sharing my story. I think you’ve hopped around just as mobile casino much as me ;) I’m an Illini fan first…then a Michigan fan ;) Thanks again…all my best!

I love chicken salad, and I make a mean one, but PROBably not the healthiest. ;-) I am intrigued by this recipe, and am pinning it to try later. I tend to shy away from bleu cheese, as it’s rather expensive. I live in a small town with only 2 grocery stores. Do you think online poker us Feta would work as well, or should I stick to the bleu?

I’m so happy to have found your blog! :-)

Hey doll! Google Reader is closing shop so I had to change to Feedblitz. My new RSS is updated on the site….let me know if you continue to not get updates. Sorry about that…. Google Reader will be missed!

3. Kathy says

The timing of this post is perfect! I bought a rotisserie chicken last night because we need a few quick meals. I have almost all of the ingredients for this, so whipped it together a few minutes ago. I didn’t have celery, cilantro or blue cheese (allergic to blue cheese anyway!) – so I mixed in some shredded lettuce instead. I’m letting it sit in my fridge until we get home later tonight. Then I’ll just toast up some whole grain bread and ta-da dinner! Thank you, thank you! (I had a sneak taste and love the flavor combo!!)

4. Emily says

This looks delicious and will definitely try it! I love the no mayo part too! I’ve been trying to get a good tuna salad recipe without the mayo, any recommendations?? By the way, ever since I made your smoked salmon with kale carbonara, I’m an avid Prevention RD fan! Thank you!

I’ve used barbeque sauce in chicken salad before, but not buffalo. Sounds even better! And I’m right there with you on the dishes thing. Last night, my guy’s “doing the dishes” consisted of throwing everything in the dishwasher but not running it… That really doesn’t work too well when I need the same dishes to photograph on the following day! Guess it’s back to hand-washing for me.. ;]

Happy birthday to you Pa!! This looks delicious – I first gave it the stink eye because I thought I was going to see ‘mayo” in the ingredient list – hooray for Greek yogurt!

And as luck would have it, I sent Tony out to buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts today – $1.49 a pound in 10 pound bags – lots of chicken!!

• says

Oh, and I am sure I’ve told you this before, but in 13 years together, I think my husband had emptied the dishwasher a handful of times. :(

7. Jen says

Thanks so much for coming to Cleveland Dietetic Association on Tuesday! I just got a chance to sit down and look at your blog, I love it and will use it to help make my grocery list this week. You are so inspiring, thanks for visiting us.

Jen: Thank you so much! I had such an amazing time at Cleveland Dietetic Association…thank you for coming! :)

Hi Nicole!

I’m a dietetic intern and I was also at the CDA meeting you spoke at last week! I started my own blog awhile ago, but haven’t really been sure how to get it moving. Your talk was so timely and relevant for me! Since you suggested commenting on other blogs, I decided to start with yours :) Beautiful site! Thanks so much for your help and inspiration! ~Hailey

9. Jenny says

Thanks for such an amazing, quick, healthy recipe!! I made it tonight using my homemade Greek yogurt and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Delicious!!

10. Mykel says

Hi. I was put on a strict wheat free diet about a month ago, so I follow a gluten free diet. I love my gluten free bread so this isn’t an issue. It is said to avoid blue cheese because of the gluten in it. What do you recommend? Also, I hate boiling chicken breast to shred. I hate the way it taste. Advice on that?

• Mommyme22 says

Put chicken breasts in a crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. You don’t need to add water or spices. Shred, measure out and freeze in whatever serving size you usually use. So much tastier and useful in lots of recipes.

11. Amy says

This sounds yummy…minus the chicken. I am vegetarian and wondering how it would be if I substituted chickpeas for the chicken. I use them in a mock tuna salad and love it. Think I am going to experiment and see what happens…thankfully it would not be a costly mistake if it turns out totally nasty =D

• Amy says

OK…big thumbs up using chickpeas…I am in Heaven! I don’t like blue cheese…used feta…and it is AMAZING! Thank you for the recipe =)

12. laura says

Looking for freeze ahead meals when baby is born soon. Can I make this and freeze in individual servings to thaw and grab for a quick, easy lunch?

Hi Laura! I would love to think this would freeze well, but yogurt can be one of those ingredients that just doesn’t thaw well. I think it’s worth a shot, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the results were sub-par! :(

• Keeley says

Great!! I am so excited to try it! I have been getting sick of boring old chicken salad, this will definitely bring a good kick to it!

13. Teresa says

Is it 1pound chicken before or after cooking? Can’t wait to try this. Looking for a low calorie chicken salad and I think I found it!!!

14. Meghan says

Holy cow!!! This is delicious! I’ve never used Greek yogurt because honestly I had no idea how. This is a total win! I did use feta instead of bleu cheese because I’m not a bleu cheese fan. Delicious! Thanks for sharing!

15. Lauren says

I love everything buffalo and am a type 1 diabetic, so low carb is my goal with all meals. I just made this today; it’s currently in the fridge, but I snuck a bite in while the chicken was hot because it smelt and looked so good, and boy was I right: delicious! Thank you so much for this easy recipe!

16. Christin says

I made this last night, exactly as the recipe says (I boiled my chicken) and it was VERY delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It gave me so much confidence in cooking. I am glad I have another recipe to add to my winner list.

17. Jacqueline says

I must say I veganized this recipe. Roasted tofu, cashew cream, loads of fresh herbs/garlic to simulate ranch(I’ve always hated bleu cheese), added chopped red onion & kale, and used a chili paste of my own design. I know I completely changed it, but it was very delicious!

18. Jackie says

I was wondering if the cilantro takes away from the other flavors? I feel as though cilantro can have a strong taste. Does it break down a little with all of the other ingredients? Has anyone made this and left it out or substituted it for something else?

Hi Jackie, I love cilantro and don’t find it as potent as some people…maybe add it at the end after tasting it without? :)