I know complaining about the weather makes me sound really old and crotchety. Heck, it makes me feel really old and crotchety. But weather has been the talk of the Midwest. Why, oh why would I have ever chosen a SILK shirt yesterday? And not only that, but I chose a black blazer to go with? Sweltering…all…darn…day.
The lake will be amazing this weekend. Perfect timing, too…my sun burn from last weekend is finally healed. I never learn about this whole sun = need for sunscreen business. I hate myself every time I don’t listen to wiser people than I on such matters.
So yes, after a week of swamp-like conditions, the lake water should be super pleasant. Good thing…I have about 25-30 people coming over for a party tomorrow afternoon. I invited my hockey team et al to a party on the beach and the response rate was very high. Let’s just say, I got a pony keg for the occasion. Should be a good time.
I will also be grilling up burgers and some salsa. Yes, the famous salsa. Sounds like the girls are covering most of the sides and desserts. I’m going for 1. easy and 2. not heating up the house. The weather and 25+ bodies will certainly accomplish that on their own.
Similar to entertaining, I’ve been keeping the cooking outdoors this week and planned meals accordingly. I ripped this out of my massive food magazine rampage last weekend when the stack of them got to be well over a foot high (totally not exaggerating). To be honest, I wasn’t expecting anything epic to come of this dish. I didn’t believe it to be any better than the sum of its parts…but it very much so was.
Mr. Prevention was even smitten with this dish. Yes, this meat-free dish containing a vegetable he is yet to pronounce correctly – radicchio. He gobbled it up and sang my praises. It doesn’t happen often, so I enjoy when it does.
- 4 large slices whole wheat bread (8 oz.)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 16 large green beans (4 oz), halved
- 1 large yellow squash, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ¼ tsp pepper, or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 small head radicchio, diced
- 2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- Preheat outdoor grill to high heat.
- Once hot, grill bread 2-3 minutes per side or until slightly charred. Remove from grill and roughly chop into cubes once slightly cooled.
- Combine the tomatoes, green beans, and squash in a medium bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Transfer veggies to a grill pan and grill 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While veggies grill, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the radicchio, grilled vegetables, and bread cubes; toss well.
- Divided salad into 3 bowls and top with cheese and eggs. Serve immediately.
TGIF! Busy, fun weekend ahead and I absolutely must catch up on sleep!