Trust story: I almost got taken out by a garbage truck yesterday morning.
It is Mr. Prevention’s job to take the trash and recycling to the end of the driveway for pick-up on Tuesday mornings. But, he forgot. I got a call as I was getting ready for work, hair half up, in the process of getting straightened and presentable. At the time, I was totally not presentable.
“Can you take the trash and recycling out? One of the two already came, but if you hurry, you can get the other one out in time…maybe. If you hurry.” he said.
I grumbled, reminded him that this was his chore, and headed out in my boxers, with my hair half-up and half done, and no make-up on my face. I was wearing tank top and flip flops. A tank top and flip flops in winter. In Michigan. Brilliant.
I grabbed the recycling bin and started towards the street at a quick clip - it was cold! I noticed that it was the recycling that had already been picked up after a glance around to the neighbor’s bins and then, I heard the truck coming. I dropped the recycling mid-driveway and bolted back to the garage to grab the trash toter.
I RAN, dragging the trash toter behind me, flagging down the truck. I hadn’t even let go of the toter before this GIANT MECHANICAL ARM CAME PROJECTING FROM THE SIDE OF THE GARBAGE TRUCK…nearly hitting me (for real). Maybe it’s because it was still, um, pitch black outside that it scared me senseless. Maybe the driver wasn’t sufficiently caffeinated for the day, but it was SCARY! My first up-close-and-personal with a garbage truck was a near-death experience. Never good.
But the effort was worth-while. Leftover seafood in the trash after a few days is…gnarly. It is perhaps the only thing I don’t like about seafood. Otherwise, I’m a lover of all that comes from the sea – crab taking the gold in my heart, stomach, whatever. I looooove crab. I watch Deadliest Catch with all of the crab fishermen and I get grumbly wanting to eat all of the crabs. Ahhh…crab. My most favorite food in the whole world. There is no more perfect food than crab…to me.
Quick crab meals that are quick but super chic…and healthy? There’s nothing better than that. These are absolutely divine!
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Arrange mushroom caps, tops down, on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Combine the crabmeat, cream cheese, parsley, green onions, Parmesan, salt, and garlic powder; mix well.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture, distributing evenly between all mushrooms. Use your hand to gently "pack" the stuffing, creating a slightly mounded top. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and mist with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and mushrooms are softened. Serve immediately.
Half way through this busy week…woo!