I heard that there was going to be an avocado shortage this year and I freaked out. I was having flashbacks to the fall when all the pumpkin crops were damaged by the floods. I vividly remember only being able to find pumpkin in HUGE cans (we call these #10 cans in the food biz…13 cups each) at GFS and stocking up on, like, a case (6) of them. Mr. Prevention was not happy with my going pumpkin crazed, but wouldn’t you know, all that pumpkin was consumed before its expiration date. Much sooner, in fact. I love, love, love pumpkin. Pumpkin anything, much to my mother’s disbelieve.
So when avocados were 5 for $5, I stocked up. Big time.
I was making salads and smoothies and then got into baking with avocados…they’re great in salad dressings and with eggs on toast. You name it – avocados are incredibly versatile and of course, they’re packed with heart-healthy fats and that creamy goodness that leaves you in awe as to how something soooo delicious could be so good for you, too. Why aren’t there more foods out there like that, right? Totally.
It probably goes without saying, but the green frosting may be a bit much for some people. In fact, it was for me. Not that the frosting wasn’t delicious…but these brownies are rich, as many gluten-free baked goods tend to be. So, in the recipe posted below, I omitted the frosting.
As I recover from my 24 hour (48 hour?) stomach bug (last night was UGLY), these brownies are calling my name. It’s probably a good sign that something other that Sprite and crackers are calling my name, but I do believe I will heed the advice of my midwife and keep with my BRAT diet today (grumble).
I’ll try to refrain from brownies for breakfast, but…no promises. Able to tout healthy fats and a bit of fiber along with their rich fudginess, they’re hard to resist!
- 2 large ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
- 8 oz. dark chocolate chips, melted
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven lealjunior.com.br/?p=bonus-sem-deposito to 350 F and line a 9x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the avocados using a fork against the side the bowl. Mash until no longer lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, melt 8 ounces of dark chocolate in the microwave on high, stirring every 15-30 seconds; allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Whisk the melted chocolate into the avocado and add the sugar, hazelnut spread, eggs, vanilla, and canola oil. Next, add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Bake brownies for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Hard to believe it’s almost Friday already…I guess a short work week and a day away for an exam (passed!) will do that. No complaints!
P.S. Thanks for all of your love for Baby Shea We’re so excited!! I plan to post soon on all of my bizarre pregnancy symptoms