Wearing a Fitbit since Christmas has been highly motivating. Last night, Mr. Prevention was gearing up Netflix to dig into an episode of Making A Murder together (after 7 episodes, I’m hooked) and I was filling up my water bottle to head to the treadmill and pound out a few miles.
I’m less successful at getting up from my desk to make time for walking at work. I’m in work-mode. But, I plan to work on that. I average only 3,000 steps when I leave work for the day. No bueno. That said, I have noticed that I walk more on my days off when I’m home with Shea. Chasing a toddler = steps? Not that surprising, I guess.
Since returning from our holiday travels, Mr. Prevention has been very inquisitive about the weekly menu and what’s for dinner. He’s voiced his preferences a time or two and within reason, I compromise.
Admittedly, I’m all for something buffalo wing-y and spicy. I am put-off by the sodium content of wing sauce but otherwise, it’s fairly simple to find a variety that is not butter-based and therefore extremely high in calories. You can find wing sauce that is anywhere between 5 and 100 calories per tablespoon. Check your labels! The wing sauce I used in this recipe was 15 calories per tablespoon (1.5 grams of fat).
I swapped in extra veggies, whole grain lasagna noodles, low-fat ricotta, part-skim cheese, and far less blue cheese. Concerns over the blue cheese being inadequate? Trust me, it was the perfect amount to give off the desired flavor. The wing sauce is really the star in this dish.
While the sauce takes some time to simmer to perfection, 90% of the time is hands-off. The lasagna assembly is traditional and the leftovers both freeze and reheat well. My only regret was not doubling the recipe to throw an entire lasagna in the freezer for later. Now that we know this recipe is a keeper and better than the original Buffalo Chicken Lasagna recipe we’ve made many times before, I’ll be doing so next time!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 12 oz buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 9 lasagna whole wheat noodles
- 15 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 oz shredded part-skim (2%) mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz shredded part-skim (2%) cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, wing sauce, water, Italian seasoning, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain and keep hot.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, blue cheese, parsley, and egg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Layer with three noodles, 1 cup sauce, ⅓ ricotta mixture, ⅓ of the mozzarella and ⅓ of the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers twice: noodles, sauce, ricotta, and shredded cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.