I’m so thankful I haven’t had heartburn…yet. I should probably knock on some wood, right? I’ll do that…
My boss asked me about a week ago how I was feeling (it’s so true that everyone is nice to pregnant women…I kind of love it). I told him I was feeling good and he followed up with, “Any morning sickness?” I had to poke fun at him just a bit, something along the lines of, “No. No morning sickness, but that would’ve passed about 3 months ago anyway. Thanks for asking, though!” He just smiled and said, “Oh, okay. I don’t know about this stuff!”
I chug along with very few (no?) changes to my diet. I thought I’d be one to track my calories and be sure I was feeding baby appropriately, but I haven’t micromanaged at all. My eating has been on par with pre-prenagncy and my hope is that will continue to manage my weight gain. That said, I *had* to have cheese fries today and they were so, so good. Best decision I made all day, even when it was followed up with a sweat session on treadmill.
My coworker offered my Rolaids afterwards as she swore they’d give me heartburn, but…nope. 😉
Spicy foods aren’t off limits either. I love spicy foods as much as ever and after meals like this, I fall in love with my crock pot all over again. Double bonus that this recipe can not only be prepped ahead of time, but it can cook all day long. This dish can easily cook for 10 hours and the meat only becomes more tender as it cooks.
I wasn’t sure how Mr. Prevention would feel about these tacos considering there was no cheese involved, but he quickly devoured FIVE tacos. I blinked and they were gone. I served leftovers to my family during their weekend visit and my dad and brother were fighting over the last one. They even loved the mango salsa. These will most definitely be made again and again…even if antacids are required at some point 😉
- 2½ lb boneless pork shoulder, well-trimmed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 mangoes, diced
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas
- In a food processor, food prep, blender, or cylindrical container with an immersion blender, process the garlic, onion, jalapenos, lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, thyme, allspice, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon until well-combined and transfer to a slow cooker. Add the pork shoulder and turn to coat. Cook on low 7-10 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until use.
- Once through cooking, remove pork from the slow cooker and shred between two forks. Pour all but about 1 cup of liquid from the slow cooker and return the pork to the slow cooker; gently mix to combine. Serve pork in corn tortillas and top with salsa.
Friday, here I come! Not a thing on the weekend agenda 😀 Hope cherries are ready for picking, though!