As you can see below, my weekly menu includes a few roll-over meals from last week. I have not been in the mood to cook. I’ve been in the mood for cereal and soft serve and anything that requires absolutely no effort. In short, being pregnant has caused me to be a carbaholic lazy person…and it makes me sad.
When I think back to 6 months ago, I spent MOST of my weekends in the kitchen. I was whipping up 5+ new recipes every weekend for my gluten-free cookbook and now, my poor kitchen goes days without any love. Mr. Prevention and I have even been having stand-offs to see who caves and unloads the dishwasher first, as the dirty dishes start to pile up on the counter and in the sink.
(P.S. I usually cave and unload the darn dish washer…the man is worthless in this way.)
But last week, I spent some time formulating some ideas of what could reinvigorate me in the kitchen. Pinterest is always good for such. And you know, since I’ve been forbidden from buying any more baby clothes (I’ve bought FOUR onesies, that’s all!)…and decorating the nursery, well…that’s just gotten expensive. And let’s be honest, there’s very little left to do to prepare for baby. When I’m anxious for something, I’m a big time planner. Big time planner.
Today was baked donuts. Today was strawberry picking which lead to fruit crumble making…and spending a solid hour (along with Mr. P’s assistance) washing and dicing strawberries to freeze for…whatever. I mean, we did pick TWENTY pounds.
I’m also making dinner tonight. A quick dinner…that includes the grill. Because it’s hot and humid and meat on the grill is the only non-carb I crave. Balance, self. Balance.
This recipe makes me think of my mom. In fact, I told her all about this meal the following morning on our daily morning chat as I drive to work. As a lover of pork tenderloin, I knew she’d appreciate both the simplicity and deliciousness of this recipe. Plus, it’s healthy and can pair with other yummy meal components like hummus, pita, and tzatziki. I was in heaven. I need this meal again soon.
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 pork tenderloins (1¼ lb each)
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper; zip the top of the bag and gently massage and shake to combine. Add the tenderloins, zip the top of the bag removing any excess air, and roll the tenderloins to coat on all sides. Marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to 400 F. Grill meat for about 20-25 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so. Allow the meat to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into ½-inch thick slices.
- Serve with tomato, feta, olive, and artichoke salad and/or hummus, tzatziki, and whole wheat pita bread.
Weekly Menu: June 22nd – June 26th
- Sunday: Spicy Chicken Quesadillas with Five Fruit Crisp
- Monday: Lamb Burgers with Goat Cheese and Tzatziki
- Tuesday: homemade pizza…never got around to making it last week
- Wednesday: late work night, includes team building dinner
- Thursday: Healthier Honey Sriracha Chicken (from last week, as well)
I’m whipped. I feel like I’ve spent all weekend on my feet. Tonight = R&R and reading 🙂