He went and did it. Mr. Prevention bought a jet ski last Sunday.
I just had a hunch when he left the house “to go look at” a used jet ski he found online. He’d been texting with the guy for several days, trying to set-up a time to meet up. I just knew when he walked out, he wasn’t coming home without an unnecessary new water toy. As soon as my phone rang an hour or so later, I knew exactly what he was going to say.
Granted, getting a jet ski was my idea from last summer…you know, when I wasn’t pregnant. Also, buying a jet ski with only 4 weeks left of summer, the timing is…less than optimal.
I also wasn’t surprised when he spent much of Monday afternoon and evening getting the jet ski registered and insured and all that jazz. Of course, he then had to test drive the jet ski and while he’d planned to be home at 7pm…it didn’t happen.
Dinner was ready, but Mr. Prevention was MIA, jet skiing around Lake Michigan doing his thing.
I’m 7 months pregnant, Mr. P. Remember, happy wife…happy life. And hungry wife who comes home from work to make dinner for just herself? Not happy.
Now, the jet ski is taking up *my* parking spot in the garage and he’s gone out each night to buy something new — a tube and rope for tubing and life vests…in every possible size. Is this his way of “nesting”? To get everything out of his system before baby Shea arrives in a few short weeks? Let’s hope. I’m trying to be patient and wait out the newness of the jet ski, understanding that sadly, summer is coming to an end sooner than any of us probably care to think about.
But, I am sick of eating dinner alone. Especially when I make KILLER meals.
These burgers were…phenomenal. I was in love. I’m typically very indifferent towards burgers, especially chicken burgers that can tend to dry out, but these were absolutely delicious! His loss, really 😉
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- ¼ tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices part-skim colby jack or cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a medium bowl, mix together the burger ingredients until well-incorporated and use your hands to form into four patties, about 5 inches in diameter each.
- Preheat grill to 400 F. Grill burgers 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the onions and cook 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add the bell pepper slices and cook 15-20 minutes or until very tender and slightly caramelized.
- Mash the avocado with the salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- To assemble, spread avocado over the bottoms of each bun. Top with burger, cheese, and pepper mixture. Serve immediately.
So ready for the weekend!