Yesterday was the first day I was able to get in the lake and actually enjoy the water. As in, it was above 64 degrees for the first time this summer, or so it seemed. We’ve had very few 80-something degree days, perhaps none in the 90’s, and have been *lucky* to get weather in the 70’s. With temps dropping below 60 most every night, everything is just…confused.
Except Lily. Fortunately or unfortunately, Lily hasn’t been confused – if it’s a weekend day, she throws a temper tantrum until we head to the beach. The girl just knows that when it’s a summer weekend day and the sun is out…she wants to be bummin’ on the beach. And she makes her wishes very well-known. Brat.
My hydrangea are MIA this year. Was it the brutal winter or the unusually mild summer? Not sure.
Why is Mr. Prevention STILL talking about getting a jet ski? I’ll never know.
Tomato plants? Totally confused.
Despite not having a backyard, we have two decent-sized side yards, one of which gets some good sun most of the day. While I had proposed a raised bed garden in years past, it wasn’t a good idea until this year when I felt as round as the Goodyear blimp and Mr. Prevention wanted to tackle the project. He has a green thumb, of sorts, but his tomato plants have turned into one giant heap of tomato madness. He didn’t exactly allow space enough for them to actually grow.
The tomato plants have gotten so far as to produce a MASSIVE amount of green tomatoes, but the temps and sun haven’t warranted them actually turning red yet. And before he reads this (unlikely, but possible) and corrects me, a *few* have turned red. But there’s about 421 green tomatoes in my side yard that are making little to no progress in their ripening. It may be October before we’re getting actual yield from the garden.
But the good news is: green tomatoes are delicious, too. Not as versatile, but certainly delicious.
Fried green tomatoes or “fried” green tomatoes have become somewhat trendy. Not quite bacon status, but lusted after amongst foodies. I mean, what’s not to love about a “Fried” Green Tomato BLT? Or these Pickled “Fried” Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk-Herb Sauce? Yes, please! I guess it’s alright by me if summer stays confused. Or the tomatoes, anyway.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices green tomato (about 4 tomatoes)
- 7 Tbsp lowfat buttermilk, divided
- 3 Tbsp light olive oil-based mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh dill, minced
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1¼ cup panko
- ⅓ cup masa harina
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Combine pickling ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add tomatoes; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain tomatoes; pat dry.
- Meanwhile, combine 5 tablespoons buttermilk and next 4 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Stir in ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add panko to pan; cook 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in masa harina, ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place panko mixture in a shallow dish. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk in a second shallow dish. Place flour in a third shallow dish.
- Dredge tomato slices in flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko mixture, turning to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of tomatoes; cook 4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until browned. Repeat with remaining oil and tomatoes. Serve with sauce.
Weekly Menu: August 3rd – August 7th
- Sunday: cookout with the fam, including an adapted version of this Chopped Broccoli Salad with Cherries and Feta
- Monday: Blueberry Arugula Salad w/ Brown Rice (made with THE biggest blueberries ever)
- Tuesday: leftover
- Wednesday: Chicken Caesar Burger
- Thursday: Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
Only TWO entries are still up for grabs in this year’s chili contest! Be sure to check out the details at the end of this post!
Mi familia is coming up for a beach day and cookout 😀