My favorite breakfasts are carb-oooo-liiiiiicious.
DONUTS!! My #1 most favorite.
Cinnamon rolls! French toast! Biscuits! Granola! Smoothies!
Protein is the forgotten element of so many breakfast meals and it’s a shame as protein provides both balance and satiety. Yet, proteins tend to be less convenient to eat on-the-go, cost more, and may even be high in saturated fat (mmm….sausage!).
I’ve started challenging my patients to get in 20+ grams of protein at each meal. This thought process not only de-emphasizes carbohydrates some, but it also forces some thought to go into meals. And balance. It’s all about balance. The challenge has been well-accepted and while not simple to do for most people, it’s a simple and straight-forward way to create a more wholesome breakfast.
I’ve made Protein Pancakes before and I sincerely adore them. I mean, hello? Throw everything in the blender and we’re off. That’s my kind of pancake prep. This recipe is much the same but with additional whole grain from wheat flour. The result is a cross-breed of pancakes and French toast (thanks to the egg and protein)…but I mean that in the best, most delicious way possible.
I ended up doubling the recipe from the original, because, well…I really like breakfast, pancakes, and nearly 3x the amount of protein from my traditional carb-heavy, protein-deficient flapjack stack. Enjoy!
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 whole eggs + 4 egg whites
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat a griddle to medium high heat.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Pour approximately ¼ cup pancake batter onto the hot griddle and cook for about 3 minutes or until bubbles form on top. Flip pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
Pancake batter can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days.
I’m slowing down this week and my body is thanking me. I have to get this baby girl to full-term…which is FRIDAY (whaaa!?). I am getting so, so anxious to meet her!!
P.S. If I go on a posting hiatus for a bit, it’s probably because I had a baby and you can find my updates on Instagram 😉