In some ways, time is flying (not too quickly, though – I’m still pregnant!). For example, it’s hard to believe that it’s been nearly a year since I submitted my final manuscript for my second cookbook and in less than a week, that cookbook will have been released for 2 months already.
Where did the cookbook time go?
My gluten-free cookbook was such a fun and rewarding challenge (thank you to those who have picked up a copy, recreated one – or all – of the recipes, and even taken a moment to review it online – mmmwwwah!). As someone who’s not gluten-free but encounters the need for helping others live gluten-free on a daily basis, the project was immensely fulfilling and helpful.
Living gluten-free is NOT easy. That gluten feller is tricky as it likes to sneak its way into nearly everything, especially all things quick, convenient, and processed in any way. If it comes from a box or package, it is very likely to contain gluten. Learning to label read for gluten-free living is a whole education in and of itself. It’s exhausting and time consuming and frankly, just not fun.
The good news is the gluten-free market is booming. Finding gluten-free products is becoming easier by the day. When McCormick sent me samples of their four gluten-free mixes, I was excited to dig in and try them out with a “Weeknight Meal” theme. While the Chili Seasoning, Turkey Gravy, and Brown Gravy mixes were all of interest, my love for Mexican won out first and I had to go with the Taco Seasoning first.
I took the opportunity to recreate an oldie but goodie, one of the most popular recipes on my blog – Crock Pot Chicken Tacos.
As simple as it can be to throw together a blend of spices, a packet truly is easier. While many seasoning packets on the market contain gluten (sneaky, sneaky!), McCormick’s new gluten-free mixes are Certified by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness. Not only that, but they’re made with natural herbs and spices, no MSG or artificial colors and flavors, and perhaps most importantly, they are priced the same as regular mix varieties. This ever-popular crock pot meal doesn’t get any easier.
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet McCormick Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced + 2 Tbsp adobo sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Pour diced tomatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker and top with chicken breasts.a
- In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the taco seasoning, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, and chicken broth. Pour over the chicken and cover.
- Cook on low for 6-10 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred between two forks. Discard all but ¾ to 1 cup of reserved liquid in the crock pot and return meat to the crock pot; toss to coat. Serve hot.
I’m glad I have leftovers, too. Those are going straight into the freezer for a quick dinner meal when my arms are full of baby and I’m running on fumes!
I got my manicure & pedicure yesterday. Today’s big event will likely be a trip to Target. Such a thrilling agenda to be waiting on a baby 😉
Eek!! Baby Shea is almost here – I keep looking on Facebook to see if you have gone to the hospital yet. Two days and counting!
And I’ll eat Mexican any day of the week – yum!
Nicole, these tacos look great!! xo