It’s never good when you get a hankering to make something sweet the week before you go on vacation. And in the case of these Best Ever Chocolate Oat No-Bake Bars, while the individual ingredients may be considered healthy and wholesome (okay the chocolate may be a stretch, but otherwise…), the sum of their parts are a little heavy on calories. At least for someone like me who wants to shed a few…and is in a swimsuit all week.
I cut back on chocolate and honey, omitted the high-calorie coconut, upped the nuts for protein and oats for fiber and portion, and added in very low-calorie and high-fiber wheat bran to help up the nutrition in these babies. The result? Totally addicting, bigger, and slightly healthier.
While I left the rest of these bars with my in-laws back in Michigan, Cabo is also filled with lots of delicious temptations. It’s dangerous when your all-inclusive package includes chocolate cake delivery in their rooms service menu 24/7. And if chocolate cake isn’t your thing, maybe the chicken nachos or papaya pancakes are. It’s kind of a foodie paradise.
But the last time I checked, laying poolside doesn’t burn many calories, so we’re finding alternate ways to burn off margaritas and Best Ever Chocolate Oat No-Bake Bars. It’s all about balance, right? 🙂
Yesterday morning, Mr. P headed straight to the gym while I walked the resort property with my morning coffee, catching some rays and whale watching (yesterday at lunch, we sat on a deck and watched whales do back flips out of the water…so cool). After my little warm-up, I hit the elliptical for 30 minutes in the crazy humid gym and followed it up with biceps, triceps, and abs, as I promised my trainer back home that I would. PROOF! Then, I didn’t even have to twist Mr. P’s arm very far to play tennis with me.
It was the perfect start to the day and today will be a repeat – while we’re not eating Best Ever Chocolate Oat No-Bake Bars, there are some chilaquiles with my name on’em!
- 1 cup natural, smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3½ cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup wheat bran
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Melt the peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil over medium-low heat in a saucepan on the stove; whisk well to combine.
- Meanwhile, mix the oats, wheat bran, coconut, nuts, and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot peanut butter mixture over the oats and mix well; transfer to a 9x13-inch pan that has been misted with nonstick cooking spray. Using the backside of a spatula, firmly press the oat mixture into the bottom of the 9x13, spreading the mixture evenly to all sides. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm; cut into bars. Store leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer.