Summer has left the Midwest. Whhyyy? Perhaps so no one had a good excuse not to be glued to game 7 – Ducks vs Blackhawks tonight? Let’s go with that.
We spent the beautiful week being sick and now this. Sad.
I, myself, even took off work Thursday after another rough night of spiking fevers. And I’d like to make it known that I have a “new patient appointment” scheduled with a primary care provider for THIS Wednesday. See, sometimes when you commit to something on the blog…it happens. The last thing I want is to come here to whine again some time in the (hopefully very distance future) and receive no sympathy for my lack of prioritization. 😉
Speaking of priorities, the pizza that was delivered to my door last night was the first hot food I’d eaten in days. With the exception of reheated leftovers, like the Baked Blueberry Walnut Oatmeal I’m currently still lusting over. I’ve been eating nothing, or fruit, or a salad, or smoothies. Nothing substantial or really balanced.
Of course I was looking forward to Mr. P being home for the week and the return of my appetite so that my growing list of must-make grilling recipes could be chipped away at. But then this weather of the worst of spring meets the worst of fall and ugggggggh.
At least there’s always comfort food and what could be more comforting than pasta? This ragout – perfect to serve over your pasta of preference.
This particular ragout looked appealing with its use of fresh herbs (remember, I can’t seem to kill oregano – woo!) and red wine. I did recently stock up on my favorites at Trader Joe’s, ya know. The cannellini beans are creamy and add some nutritional punch and added fiber. And then there’s the turkey sausage…of which I chose the spicy variety to please Mr. P (and me). The bit of heat was the perfect touch. Enjoy (but…bring back summer!).
- 12 oz hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 10 oz unsalted chicken stock
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can unsalted cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sausage to pan and cook 5-6 minutes, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Transfer sausage from pan to a plate.
- Return skillet to heat and add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add wine; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in stock and next 5 ingredients (through beans); reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cooked sausage and oregano.
Weekly Menu: May 31st – June 4th
- Sunday: Fried Egg and Avocado Toasts
- Monday: Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Rhubarb BBQ Sauce and roasted potatoes
- Tuesday: Mexican-Style Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
- Wednesday: Spaghetti with Lobster
- Thursday: Thai Basil Chicken Stir-Fry over quinoa