Shea will be 7 months old on Wednesday (howww???) and we are still on our breastfeeding journey. Which is more pumping than anything with work, but still…high five, self! While many women notice cravings and an increased appetite during pregnancy, I escaped all of that during my pregnancy. I actually ate most of my meals off salad plates and never really had any serious hankerings.
But it seems my breastfeeding days have me insatiable and have me craving the LOTS of things.
My most recent cravings have been for carnitas, anything on the grill (which is yet to be had), and chicken salad. There was also a little issue with a carrot cake and red velvet cake being in the house after my send-off from my old job. There’s just no way to keep that kind of sweet in the house and not have it call my name non-stop.
I’ve made several chicken salads in the past, but I knew I wanted something with some sweetness and some crunch. I also wanted to take the tasty and lazy way out and use rotisserie chicken.
A very brief Google search later, I landed on this recipe from Whole Foods. Pecans and celery for crunch and grapes and a little honey for some sweetness. Sold.
I served this salad on peppery crackers and ate it every meal until it was gone. Literally. Mr. Prevention was out of town and wouldn’t ever eat the stuff, so I ate it and ate it and ate it. Now, I just can’t wait to make it again.
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs rotisserie chicken (white meat, skin removed), roughly chopped
- ¾ cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups red seedless grapes, halved
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- In small bowl, whisk to combine mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to dress the salad.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped chicken and dressing. Add remaining ingredients and toss well to coat.
- Sunday: Grilled Pork Medallions with roasted potatoes and asparagus
- Monday: Avocado Burgers with Esquites (Creamy Corn Salad)
- Tuesday: Tangy Pork and Mango Tostadas
- Wednesday: salad with beets and nuts
- Thursday: Sausage, Cannellini, and Tomato Ragout over whole wheat penne