We had company on Monday night – a friend of ours stopped by on her road trip. Over the past year, she has been to nearly every US state (and more countries than I care to count because I am green with envy!). I mean, how cool is that?!
The rational side (ahem, okay…the lazy side) of me thought, “Let’s just grab take-out…it’ll make the evening a little easier.” But, then I thought, “She probably hasn’t had many home-cooked meals this past year…make her something delicious, Nicole!”
I came home from work and was able to do the prep and dicing involved in this recipe while Shea played in the kitchen, banging on pots and pans. I was pretty pumped over the recipe – it had quickly caught my eye in the latest issue of Cooking Light and there was no delay in adding it to the weekly menu.
All was going smoothly – patties patted, corn cooked, and then I went to toast the bun halves under the broiler and…I totally burned a lot of them. Black. Inedible. DONE. I stole a top and a bottom bun for pictures, but most of our sliders were on two bun bottoms. Oooooooooooops.
Mr. P raved about these little Parm-Style Chicken Sliders and I am now a firm believer that ground chicken breast doesn’t have to be dry. These little gems were anything but dry…and ground chicken breast is 98% lean. A little pizza sauce (which I opted for over marinara for a little extra flavor) and Parmesan cheese really did the trick. The onion, garlic, and oregano certainly helped the cause, too.
As I was describing these sliders to my co-worker, she quickly said, “Are you going to post that recipe?!”
Of course, of course. I’m never able to keep our favorites off the blog for long. Enjoy!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (about ¼ cup)
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 10 slider buns, halved and toasted
- 3 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about ¾ cup)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add oregano and garlic; sauté 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender and beginning to brown. Place onion mixture in a large bowl; cool slightly. Add chicken, Parmesan, ½ cup pizza sauce, black pepper and crusted red pepper to onion mixture. Mix well with hands. Shape chicken mixture into 10 (1/2-inch-thick) patties and place between small pieces of parchment paper; refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high(550 F).
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 10 minutes or until cooking through, turning once.
- Arrange bottom halves of rolls on a baking sheet. Place 1 patty on each roll. Top each with 1 tablespoon remaining pizza sauce and 1 tablespoons cheese. Broil 90 seconds or until cheese melts. Top with basil and top halves of buns. Serve immediately.