Oh, yes…hello. I do still exist. This blog still exists. I am cooking and baking and eating. But the days just fly by and my poor little blog goes another day without an update. I’m sorry!!
I do, however, have a little stock pile of recipes I can’t wait to share with you. Yay! My weekly menu is kind of all over the place as we currently have fall-like temperatures which make the baby’s 5am wake-ups torturous because seriously now, who doesn’t want to cuddle up in their warm bed until at LEAST sunrise on those perfect nights for sleeping? Exactly. But I see that later this week, we’ll have a bit of an Indian summer with highs in the low 80’s and so perhaps our beach days are not over for 2015, even though they are most certainly numbered. Have I mentioned how much I love this time of year? Let’s cheers over a pumpkin-y beer!
Other than work and motherhood, I’ve been exercising my tushie off.
Okay, that’s a little bit of an exaggeration. But I have been delving back into the running scene full force. I put in 20 miles this past week and it has been years since I’ve accomplished that. I’m not fast. It ain’t pretty. But hey, it’s excellent exercise and it’s something that I’m enjoying. I am still in awe of the fact that back in grade school I was the girl who was “sick” the days we had to run the mile in gym class. At 30, a mile is my warm-up. That’s definitely something I’m proud of.
To balance out the exercise with a lazy activity, I’ve been watching the US Open non-stop, even if it’s just on in the background. For those living under a rock or who don’t give two whoops about tennis, Serena Williams got picked off in the semifinals by an unranked Italian when she was on track to win a calendar slam (championing all 4 major slams in a calendar year) for the first time since 1988. It’s sad but the Italian (Vinci) had the most endearing, humble press interview following the match…there was just no way you couldn’t be totally happy for her.
I’ve also been coloring! As in, like, a coloring book. Like a little girl! I had a hankering for coloring and I have no idea why, but luxuries such as Amazon Prime make such random purchases so very accessible. So, I’ve been coloring. It’s quite relaxing, really. It’s right up there with cooking.
And yet, my time to cook has seemed to have dwindled. Perhaps because of tennis and running and coloring, but also because my little peanut is teething. She’s…struggling. She’s got these two front top teeth coming in that are causing us all some grief. Helloooooooooo fussiness for days. I need quick and easy meals and if nothing else, I’m fortunate enough to be able to come home at lunch most days and prep dinner or throw something in the crock pot. I have about 30 minutes for lunch and a 10 minute drive, so yep…it has to be fast. This delicious Beef and Broccoli recipe fits the bill. Enjoy!
- 1½ lbs flank steak, thinly sliced and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- ⅔ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 cups raw broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 4 Tbsp cold water
- Add steak, beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, and chili flakes to crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours. Do not over-cook!
- Using a slotted spoon, remove beef, cover with foil, and set aside. Whisk together the cornstarch and water; add to the slow cooker and whisk well. Cover and turn to high. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until thickened; add beef back to the crock pot and gently toss.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli in a large microwave-safe covered dish and fill with ½ inch of water. Place the lid on in an off-set manner so that the dish can vent. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Drain, stir broccoli into slow cooker. Serve over rice, if desired.
Weekly Menu: September 12th – 17th
- Saturday: chili contest entry #1!
- Sunday: Chicken Parmesan over Zucchini Noodles
- Monday: Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Tuesday: Glazed Honey-Garlic Shrimp with Quinoa and broccoli
- Wednesday: breakfast for dinner – waffles!
- Thursday: leftovers
College football and chili!! Go Illini!