It’s starting to feel like the holidays and winter around #puremichigan.
Our tree is up, our stockings are hung.
Packages are arriving on a daily basis because Cyber Monday has already come and gone.
I played my first outdoor hockey game of the season…and survived. Barely. It wasn’t even all that cold and my toes were icy and my cheeks were rosy.
And the University of Illinois has successfully wrapped up another disappointing football season and has had an epic start to the basketball season. Epic in all the wrong ways.
Yep, December is here.
Today we are up to all sorts of Christmas-y things. Reindog parades and wineries with Santa. Michigan does December right, that’s for sure.
Today on the blog wraps up this year’s 6th annual chili contest. How!? It didn’t even feel like most weeks were eating chili and then leftovers and more leftovers of chili. Each recipe was so uniquely its own, we were never tiring of ANOTHER chili.
I saved this chili for our last home game of the season against the most hated team of all: THE Ohio State. We got our tushes handed to us, but it was still enjoyable. Loyal fans watch their teams lose until the very end while enjoying the fact that at least there’s amazing chili to lessen the blow.
This chili was very rich – the chocolate, the beer, the bourbon, the flavorful meat. It simmered to a creamy consistency over 2 hours and my home smelled like a 5-star tailgate for at least 2 days. Divine!
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup bourbon
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Hot Mrs. Dash or McCormick’s Perfect Pinch Southwest Blend
- ¼ cup dried oregano
- ¼ cup dried basil
- 24 oz lager beer
- 2 (8 oz) cans Rotel
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 28 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz semi-sweet baker’s chocolate
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can Great Northern beans
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
- In a LARGE pot over medium heat, cook all of the meats until no longer pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon. After being cooked, move to a plate or bowl.
- Add oil to the pot and once hot, add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes or until softened. Add the bourbon and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Allow the bourbon to cook off for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning, chili powder, Mrs. Dash/Perfect Pinch, oregano, basil, beer, Rotel, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and baker's chocolate; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add all of the beans along with the cooked meats; stir to combine. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 2-3 hours.
Weekly Menu: December 6th – 10th
- Sunday: Kale Quinoa Stuffed Delicata Squash
- Monday: Easy Ravioli with Sausage and Brussels Sprouts
- Tuesday: Sl0w Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Wednesday: leftovers
- Thursday: One-Pot Creamy French Onion Pasta Bake