The other day, Shea and I had a giggling attack. Both of us were giggling uncontrollably, fueled by the other’s laughing fit. It all started over me chasing her down to put on her PJ’s. She enjoys being chased after and the girl is incredibly ticklish.
She’s so much fun. Between the hours of 7am and 10pm, anyway. 🙂
Last night, I forewarned Mr. Prevention that he would not be happy with my dinner selection — this kale and quinoa masterpiece. We have received several delicata squash in our CSA in recent weeks and I needed to do something with them. As a newbie to delicata squash, I consulted Pinterest and landed on this recipe.
Of course I had to tweak it and de-veganize it. I saw the tahini and my mind immediately went to lemon juice and feta cheese. I must say, it was a solid choice.
We sat down for dinner just as Shea was melting down before bed. As much as I try to time dinner around her fussy time, it’s a fine art that I am yet to master. As she sat on my lap with her head resting on my shoulder, I tried to carefully maneuver bites of dinner into my mouth without it landing on my lap. Soon, Shea’s mouth was wide open requesting a sample…to which I was happy to oblige.
She loooooooooooooved it. Mr. Prevention loooooooooooved it. I loooooooooooved it. It’s fun when a meal as healthy as this one is also so incredibly tasty.
- 3 delicata squashes, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch kale or chard (I used a combo), tough stems removed and sliced/chopped
- 1 (8.5 oz) pkg Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice with Garlic
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange cleaned squash cut side up. Brush the exposed flesh of the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast squash for 30-35 minutes or until tender when pricked with a fork.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and cook 5-6 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Add kale/chard as well as the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper; cook 5-6 minutes or until hot and wilted.
- Microwave quinoa package according to directions; stir into the kale mixture along with the feta and mix well. Allow to cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until hot. Spoon the stuffing into the squash halves, using your hands to gently press the contents into the hallowed squash.
- In a small bowl mix together tahini, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and and water needed to thin out; drizzle over squash halves. Serve immediately.