Happy New Year!
I made it to midnight. Barely, but still. How about yourself?
Historically, New Years Eve is a letdown for me. All the hype of the night with never anything definite on the agenda. It’s usually us, the couch, and Ryan Seacrest…with my head hitting the pillow before the ball actually drops.
Last night, we went to a wedding, however. One of Mr. Prevention’s childhood friends tied the knot in a full-out party fashion. Similar to our own, the ceremony was VERY short and sweet. We’re talking under 15 minutes! The bride was beautiful and the red-black-grey color scheme was perfect for the holiday season wedding.
The reception was held at a boarding school in this HUGE, gorgeous room. The ceilings were several stories high and the room’s capacity was nearly 1,500 guests. It sure allowed for plenty of dance room for the 200-ish people in attendance. The food highlight? The mashed potato buffet! Seriously, I was in heaven.
As we head back to Michigan after 11 days away, I’m pretty ready to return to our boring little life. I’m looking forward to cooking and some one-on-one time with Shea. And yes, even to work on Monday. We’ve celebrated 5 Christmases in our time away and by my estimations of my odometer, we’ve driven about 1,200 miles…much of that with the baby and the dog.
I’m not sure what’s for dinner tonight, but there will be a thing or two GREEN. For sure. I’ve planned next week’s menu with lighter fare in mind. I’m currently craving the healthy stuff versus donuts and French fries for once – let’s see how long it lasts!
But let’s start 2016 off with something green…and orange and red. Pomegranates have been a staple in my house this fall and winter as Shea adores eating pomegranate arils. At times, she can eat them faster than I can gently extract them from the comb of the fruit. My CSA has been bountiful in the citrus, as well. Rather than focusing on all that’s not seasonal in the produce department at this time of year, enjoy the select few fruits that are in this delicious, yet simple salad.
- 1 large head or 2 small heads Romaine, washed and chopped
- 3 navel oranges, peeled and segmented
- ¾ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 avocado, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds, toasted (if desired)
- Juice from 1 large orange (1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat toast the almonds in a dry pan for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant and golden.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, food processor, or mini food prep, blend all of the dressing ingredients together; drizzle over lettuce and toss well.
- Top lettuce with orange segments, pomegranate arils, avocado, feta, and toasted almonds. Toss well and serve immediately.
- Sunday: Baked Thai Salmon with roasted potatoes
- Monday: Kale and Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad with Parmesan Toasts
- Tuesday: Ginger, Beef, and Kale Stir-Fry
- Wednesday: leftovers
- Thursday: Jalapeno Lime Chicken Soup