I’m so proud of myself!! I’ve stopped by the gym the past two days after work, before picking up Shea. I’ve been forcing myself to get out the door a bit earlier in the morning so I am able to leave work a few minutes earlier and aim to get home around the same time, but with a workout completed for the day.
The slight shift in schedule hasn’t been a challenge yet, but one of these mornings I know Shea will sleep past 6am and throw me alllllll off.
But, I’m hoping I’m able to stick with the workouts and rather than focusing on the longest or hardest workouts, I want to focus on consistency in working out.
I have a plan for meals for the week – an actual plan for exercise only makes sense. Plus, I feel very accomplished when I can work, workout, cook, and be mom each day. It’s the perfect balance.
Continuing with my quick and easy meals was this simple yet flavorful meal. As a family who very rarely eats red meat (based on preference), every once in awhile it really hits the spot. Flank steak is tender and forgiving with those who aren’t the best meat cookers, like myself. Ha!
Because kale and mushrooms cook rather quickly, this meal comes together in no time. And in one skillet. The sauce thickens up into a gravy-like consistency making the dish feel rich and sinful. Except, it’s not. In fact, it’s rather light and totals a mere 329 calories per serving.
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 lb flank steak, thin cut diagonally across the grain
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, halved
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 4 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients and add to a large bowl or ziplock bag, along with the sliced steak. Seal and gently toss to coat. Cover/seal and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Once steak has marinated, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, remove steak from marinade with a slotted spoon, reserving the marinade, and add to saute pan with the garlic. Saute for about 4-5 minutes until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove steak with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, kale, and reserved marinade to saute pan, and stir to combine. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until the kale is wilted, the sauce has thickened, and the mushrooms have softened. Add in the steak, and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped green onions.