The hardest thing about the evenings is the timing. I so very much so want us all to be on the same dinner schedule, but with hubby’s unpredictable work schedule, I have a feeling that will be an uphill battle that I may never win.
So, I feed Shea around 5:30pm (she’s HANGRY by then) and sit with her while she eats…or prep our dinner. It’s pretty productive and seems to work. On occasion, I’ve needed to wrap up a piece of the meal prep and to keep her occupied with dinner a few minutes more, I’ll give her a marshmallow. You know, like the ones I use for s’mores…on occasion (or, often). She is LEARNING to say “thank you” but let me go on record saying she NEVER forgets, “thank you!” after being handed a marshmallow. She’ll then proceed to make that single marshmallow last for the next 10 minutes as she nibbles away on it. Adorable.
Because most of Shea’s meals are leftovers, I’ve been resorting to more one pot pasta meals. We love pasta…she loves pasta…it reheats well. Yeah. Pasta for the win.
This particular pasta wins absolutely no healthy recipe awards, but boy is it delicious! It immediately caught my eye on Pinterest and there’s no surprise as to why – bacon and chicken and pasta, oh my!
Hubby and I are generally sitting down to eat just as Shea is winding down for the night. This usually results in her sitting on my lap while I try to eat which results in sharing my meal with her…and having plenty of food all over me and the floor when all is said and done.
While I fully realize this is not a recipe for success in the long-term, I selfishly love the fact that she will try absolutely anything. There have been very few exceptions where she has passed on helping me with my dinner, and it’s never the case with pasta. This particular dish was well-loved by all – and just like the marshmallows, this recipe received a “thank you!” from Shea!
- 12 oz dry fettuccine
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup (4 oz) 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 oz broccoli florets
- 12 oz uncured bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken (skin removed), shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and cook pasta until al dente, about 8-9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add minced garlic to the skillet and cook 30-60 seconds, or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add half and half and milk; bring to soft boil. Add cheese and stir till it completely melts.
- In a microwave-safe dish, microwave broccoli for 4-6 minutes or until al dente.
- To the milk-cheese mixture, add cooked pasta and cook 1-2 minutes. Mix in the broccoli, bacon, and chicken and serve hot.
Not too wild on Broccoli by itself, but this recipe would have me lapping up every morsel of my plate … great post!
Wonderful recipe.I like this and I think this is very delicious. I am going to make this recipe for my family and husband Thanks for sharing
Wonderful recipe. I also love the way you cooked. I made it last weekend and my family loved it.