Weekly menu planning is getting progressively more challenging by the week.
While I was able to pickle all of our pickling cucumbers, we’re about to be inundated with TONS of tomatoes and butternut squash. Kind of like how we’re just wrapping up the gobs of zucchini we were riddled with.
Riddled in a good way, of course.
When my family was visiting last weekend, I offered to send my parents home with zucchini and my mom claimed she didn’t know how to prepare zucchini. Sometimes I wonder how I ever ended up in such a love affair with food…
My brother quickly chimed in that he loves to grill zucchini and I concur. Grilled zucchini is absolutely delicious. But, you guys, I can’t eat grilled zucchini every day for months on end. My palate has a need for some diversity.
The one thing I haven’t made this summer is zucchini bread. That’s just too…vanilla. These waffles were the closest I got to zucchini bread and dare I say this was a much more fun and exciting way to include zucchini in my life?
I always feel like a rock star when I get in a vegetable at breakfast. To get in a vegetable in a “sweet” breakfast dish rather than savory? Total rock star. Of course you can also make these into pancakes just as easily – whatever you prefer.
These waffles may make a re-appearance on our weekly menu soon. Because not only are we still producing zucchini from the garden (albeit at a much slower pace), but these waffles were so easy to make and ahem…you can tell EASY is about all I’m capable of at nearly 37 weeks pregnant (and having Braxton Hicks like crazy). Enjoy!
- 2 large zucchini, ends trimmed and grated
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat waffle maker.
- After grating the zucchini, use a strainer, dishtowel, or paper towel to gently squeeze moisture out of the zucchini; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar; whisk well.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, almond milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined; fold in the zucchini until well-incorporated.
- If indicated, spray the waffle maker with cooking spray and scoop batter over about half of the bottom grate surface; close and cook according to manufacturers directions, or about 4-5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter and serve hot.
Weekly Menu: August 14th – 18th
- Sunday: out for dinner
- Monday: French Onion Zoodle Bake with grilled chicken
- Tuesday: BLT’s with roasted sweet potatoes
- Wednesday: crab cakes with salad
- Thursday: “caprese” open-faced sandwiches