Another great weekend in the books. Monday, I’m side-eye’ing you.
We got a babysitter on Friday night and snuck away for a dinner out on a patio. The food, beer, and company were all top-notch 😉 We even treated ourselves to soft serve afterwards (and again this afternoon, because…90 degrees outside!).
On Saturday, my parents arrived and once I got home from tennis, we went strawberry picking. You-pick fruit in Michigan has arrived and we picked 22 1/2 pounds of strawberries in under an hour. It probably goes without saying that this year’s crop was fabulous…and it’s helpful having 4 adults picking and only two small humans to eat the berries. In fairness, however, Piper was busy crawling all over and Shea was frolicking in the strawberry patch, picking sub-par berries and proudly showing them off to us all.
After nap time, we went to a local brewery and enjoyed the sun, live music, bubbles, and dancing. We came home for a cookout – burgers and asparagus, especially for the baby. She LOVES asparagus! Loves it! We finished up the evening with…you guessed it, strawberries!
We called it quits pretty early and the next thing I knew it was just before 7am and I realized…the baby slept through the night! SHE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! 7:45pm to 7:15am! And now because I shared this monumental event, it probably won’t repeat. But, here’s to hoping!
After church, my parents headed back to Chicago and at the last minute we tried our babysitter to see if she could come hold down the couch during nap time so we could sneak off to the beach. She was free and we lucked out! I got in some reading and vitamin D, along with plenty of good people watching.
Mark is away this week for work and regretfully, I’ve opted out of meal planning. This could be disastrous. Of course there’s plenty of food in the house, but I’m afraid I’m going to be making 3 different meals to piece stuff together for everyone. Back on track next week!
For those on track and looking for a meal to add to their repertoire – this one’s for you! Assuming you like spicy shrimp, that is. This meal comes together in minutes and is packed with flavor. It’s going into rotation, for sure!
Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
Author: Nicole Morrissey
Serves: 8 tacos
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup light ranch dressing
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- juice of ½ lime
- 2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 fresno chili (or ½ jalapeno) pepper, minced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a small dish, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper until well-combined. Sprinkle over shrimp and toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the shrimp and cook 6-7 minutes or until no longer opaque and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ranch and sriracha in a small bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, honey, and lime juice; mix well. Add the cabbage and fresno chili and toss to coat.
- Serve shrimp inside tortillas and topped with the cabbage slaw, sriracha ranch, and chopped cilantro.
Recipe slightly adapted from Peas and Crayons
Serving size: 1 taco Calories: 200 Fat: 5.9 Carbohydrates: 19.5 Sugar: 3.6 Sodium: 440 Fiber: 1.6 Protein: 14.7 Cholesterol: 69