Is it safe enough here to admit that I cared nothing at all about the eclipse yesterday? It’s probably safer to say that I feel like I’ve been living under a rock as I knew nothing about the eclipse until social media was flooded with everyone in their funny little glasses and taking pictures of the sky.
With the craziness of the past few weeks I am feeling super behind on everything. The girls and I were planning a pool day in Chicago but I waited too long to plan something and now Labor Day is, like, tomorrow. Not literally, but might as well be with how quickly time is flying by.
I’m getting organized with all of my upcoming travel this fall – my bestie’s bachelorette party in Scottsdale (heck to the yes!) and at least one conference (even if it is only a stone’s throw away in Chicago). Mr. Prevention and I are toying with the idea of a adult-only getaway, too. We’ll see.
I’m also started to get organized about things like my annual chili contest. This will be year EIGHT – how is that even possible?! Are you ready? Football and chili are a’comin. And so my #1 priority in the kitchen…isn’t in the kitchen at all. My priority is the grill. Before it’s covered in a foot of snow.
Some of my foodie friends were ooo’ing and ahh’ing over this recipe and it was worth the commotion. The sum is greater than its parts, for sure. These every day ingredients are all grilled – yes, even the romaine. If you’re a skeptic about grilling lettuce, I urge you to try it, and yet I promise that you’ll love this salad even with cool, crunchy, straight-from-the fridge romaine, too.
This salad epitomizes summer with its from-nature carbs and smoky char. Swap in or out your favorite summer vegetables or even take this gem of a recipe into the fall months with winter squash. You can also celebrate its return in the spring with asparagus. DELISH.
- ⅓ cup + 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- zest of half a lemon
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 ears corn, husked
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ½-inch-thick planks
- 2 heads of romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- ½ cup (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat grill to medium heat; allow to preheat for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together ⅓ cup olive oil, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes. Whisk well to combine.
- Brush the zucchini, corn, and romaine with oil, then pour about 1 tablespoon of the oil mixture over the chicken breasts, Brush with olive oil to coat. Reserve the remaining oil mixture to use for the dressing.
- Grill the chicken and corn for 5-7 minutes. Add the zucchini and grill for 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken and zucchini and rotate the corn; add the romaine and cook 1-2 minutes; flip the romaine and grill another 2 minutes. The chicken should be cooked through, the corn charred, and the zucchini and romaine should be charred but still with crispness.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, then whisk in the lemon juice.
- Chop the romaine hearts into bite-sized pieces and add them to a large bowl. Cut the kernels off the corn and add them to the romaine. Cut the zucchini crosswise into ½ inch-thick slices and chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Crumble the feta into the bowl, and top with the basil. Drizzle the dressing over the top, then toss well to combine. Serve immediately.