I feel like I am no longer under the gun to figure out what we’re going to eat for the week (but I’ll figure out our menu tomorrow while I’m driving Lily to and from Detroit for her echo). Small town Michigan now has Shipt – grocery delivery through Meijer. I keep a grocery list on the app and with the monthly membership, it’s “free” delivery for orders over $35. It’s life-changing.
Yes, I got Italian parsley instead of cilantro.
Yes, the shopper was unable to find iced coffee.
But…the convenience factor is huge. The shopper will text any questions as they arise while they’re shopping to help minimize errors, which is great.
A huge part of me is thinking how terribly lazy the whole thing is, but I must say, I put my weekend free time to good use and got in two long-for-me runs of 5 ½ miles and 4 miles. My thighs are definitely feeling it today.
My mileage has been way down in recent years and especially after baby #2 came along. My workouts have transitioned from marathon training and competitive hockey to high intensity to regular and challenging to just doing enough to maintain my weight. I can’t remember the last time I was actually sore and that’s not good! I seriously, seriously need to add resistance training and longer runs to my routine. It felt great and I was proud!
So while I was out running, my Shipt order was in process. I placed an order for everything one Shipt shopped couldn’t figure out on Friday because on Saturday I just HAD to make this bean salad.
My coworker brought this Three Bean Mexican Salad in for a potluck last week and everyone LOVED it! I like beans but a bean salad isn’t something I’d normally lust after. This, though? Oh baby. It’s absolutely divine as a salad or as a salsa. Absolutely delicious and perfect for right now, before the summer’s sweet corn is only a memory.
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen corn or 3 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut from cob
- 1 (15 oz) can reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can reduced sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can reduced sodium great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ancho chili powder
- extra chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat a large skillet (cast iron preferred) over medium heat. Add corn kernels and cook 4-5 minutes or until charred and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together all of the ingredients in a small bowl until well-combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn and all remaining salad ingredients. Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious! I love Mexican cuisine so I will definitely try this one 🙂
I dislike cilantro, would another herb be a good subsitute?
Hi Liz! I would just leave it out 🙂
Many many thanks for your kind post.I learn & get lot of important content.