I started a blog post on Friday but then the weekend started and I haven’t paused from having fun to finish the post. No apologies – I am soaking up all the summer that I can!
My parents were in town and we did a little bit of everything – outdoor concert at the beach, beach day, brewery, dinner out, and more beach. Piper slept until after 9am on Saturday when I had to wake her up – that has never happened! We wore those kids OUT.
It has been great beach weather, but not-so-great outdoor running weather. When Mark and I hit the pavement for a run together on Saturday afternoon after a morning at the beach, it was a struggle. It was a hard, sweaty 3.75 miles. I just kept thinking of all the people who would be doing the half ironman in our town this weekend and it kept me going.
Saturday night we went out for dinner and I had this amazing Michigan berry salad with burrata. And rosé. A great weekend of good eats, good drinks, exercise, and my family. What more could I ask for?
When I was planning my weekly menu, I wanted to keep things quick and easy. The less time in the kitchen the better, especially since a good portion of today was spent meal prepping, making lunches for the week, and making another huge batch of pesto with our garden yield.
As I often do during life’s hectic times, I resort to slow cooking. A few weeks ago, I ran home at lunch to throw this meal in the slow cooker – a very quick and easy effort. Not being huge beef eaters, it’s hard to find beef recipes we LOVE…however, this is most definitely one of them! Although it’s higher in sodium than I’d like to see, it was worth the splurge, especially since all of the other nutritional facts were on track. This meal is a sure way to please everyone at the table, especially the kids! DELISH!
- 1¾ lbs flank steak, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger or ginger paste
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Add sliced flank steak and cornstarch to a large resealable plastic bag. Close and shake to coat steak in cornstarch; transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, garlic, ginger, water, soy sauce, brown sugar, and Sriracha. Pour over the steak and gently mix to coat steak. Top with carrots and cover slow cooker with the lid.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, until steak is cooked and tender.
- Serve over rice and garnished with sesame seeds, if desired.
Weekly Menu: August 12th – 16th
- Sunday: Easy Sheet Pan Shrimp (and Chicken) Fajitas, guacamole, Baja Fresh Salsa
- Monday: Red Pepper Cashew Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower
- Tuesday: burgers, corn, green beans
- Wednesday: Turmeric Tahini-Loaded Chicken Salad
- Thursday: leftovers