Wow, what a weekend. I love my job, but I am not looking forward to work tomorrow!
Friday night, Mark was wearing a jacket and gloves while we sat around an outdoor fire. And…Saturday we went to the beach. While I absolutely love fall weather, summer is my favorite season. I love the pace and the fact that there’s always something to do. Well, until COVID-19 hits, anyway.
Our (11th) anniversary was Saturday and we thoroughly enjoyed the day – it was great. Perfect weather, amazing food! Even a good storm that had passed by morning.
On Sunday, I was up and at’em and headed to Chicago. My dad had back surgery last week and we were going to pick him up and get him settled in at home. Except, he wasn’t discharged. We still made the most of the day with the highlights being a nearly 5 mile run while my mom biked alongside me (talking while running is a new skill, even if my pace suffered!), socially distanced hellos with my bestie, and dinner out on the patio – I’m making the Greek Tortellini Salad my mom served. It was SO good.
I headed home, arriving just before bedtime. The house was going on 80 degrees and both girls were tossing and turning, drenched in sweat. I flipped on the air, put their hair in top knots as I peeled off their jammies, and blew on their necks to cool them off. I missed being mom for the day J The girls didn’t get up until 8:30am and that is unheard of!
Memorial Day, today, was spent back at the beach. After getting a PR (personal record) on my 45 minute Peloton ride. It was no easy feat – I was WHIPPED. The evening was spent in our grind of baths, packing lunches, groceries, dinner, blogging, etc. Sigh…I wanted the weekend to go on and on.
But, real world – what’s up? I’ve got your number. This one pot delight is more than worthy and best yet, it’s ready in 30 minutes. It reheats like a dream, will be well-loved by kids, and sneaks in some veggies. We thoroughly enjoyed this one and will certainly be making it again.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz dry pasta
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Add olive oil to a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the sliced kielbasa and diced onions. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until browned and onions are tender. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, pasta, milk, and black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, or untill pasta is tender.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in ¼ cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and cover until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with sliced scallions and serve.
Weekly Menu: May 25th – 29th
- Monday: grilled chicken, corn on-the-cob, grilled potatoes
- Tuesday: Roasted Red Pepper Alla Vodka with Cheesy Oregano Breadcrumbs and salad
- Wednesday: grilled turkey hot dogs with Greek Tortellini Salad
- Thursday: carryout / leftovers
- Friday: Chicken Tikka Masala with naan and steamed broccoli
Love one pot recipes like this? Me too! You may also love:
- One Pot Spicy Taco Rice Skillet
- One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- One Pot Wonder Southwest Pasta