About a week ago, my breast milk supply plummeted. I was devastated and could only correlate the reduction in supply to the absence of lactation cookies in my diet. While I don’t that lactation cookies are 100% to thank for good milk supply (though I’d be okay with that – I have modified the recipe to use coconut oil in place of butter and 60% cacao dark chocolate chips in place of semi-sweet and they are even more heavenly), I do believe the extra calories are definitely to thank.
As I’ve ramped up my workouts (yay, running! yay, step aerobics! yay, hockey! yay, tennis!), I need to increase my calories accordingly to continue feeding Miss Shea (my girl is 98th percentile for length and 94th for weight – my body is working in over-drive to keep up!). P.S. We took her to see Santa – so cute.
Of course as my workouts ramp up in frequency and intensity, coupled with breastfeeding, my appetite is through the roof. I’ve really had to select my calories wisely and incorporate highly satisfying foods that are plentiful in protein and fat. Healthy fats and lean proteins, like salmon, avocados, olive oil, chicken, and eggs.
And while I love all of these foods dearly, the carb-o-licious baked goods on my counter sound even better. And they’re just…right…there. Being home all day (for now) is such a blessing and a curse.
However, this recipe incorporates lots of healthy fats in the form of one of my favorite foods ever – tacos!
Rich in omega 3’s and monounsaturated fat, these tacos are full of nutrition, spice, and everything DELISH. Plus, it’s a meal ready in minutes. The colors are stunning and the nutrition is balanced – everything from calories to fat to fiber…and most importantly, flavor!
- 1 lb salmon fillets, skin removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) tortillas
- ⅔ cup frozen corn, warmed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small avocado, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 dash garlic powder
- ⅓ cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, chili powder, paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Rub the spice mixture onto both sides of the salmon; transfer to the hot skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through and outside is blackened. Flake salmon using a fork.
- Meanwhile, mix together the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl, as well as the ranch ingredients in a small bowl.
- Assemble tacos by dividing salmon among tortillas, top with corn salsa and cilantro-lime ranch. Serve immediately.
Today is the first day since we brought Shea home on October 8th that we haven’t left the house. We’re having a Walking Dead marathon instead 😉 Only 2 1/2 weeks of maternity leave left 🙁 🙁 🙁