Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken

Memorial Day. It’s quickly approaching. Though gas prices will rise, a fabulous grilled meal should turn that frown upside down! Right? With this grilled masterpiece, absolutely.

Outside of tasting great, this recipe is also quick to come together – a 30-minute meal or less…depending on how well you multi-task ;)

Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken adapted from Cooking Light, June 2011

2 tsp ground cumin 1 1/2 tsp chili powder 3/4 tsp kosher salt 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder 8 – 4-ounce chicken breasts 3/4 cup pineapple juice 1/3 cup tequila 1/4 cup honey 2 tsp cornstarch 2 tsp water 2 tsp grated lime rind 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, or more to taste

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; rub evenly over chicken.

Bring the pineapple juice, tequila, and honey to a boil in a small saucepan; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Combine cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl, and stir well. Add cornstarch mixture to juice mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in lime rind, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and red pepper.

Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill for 5 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with juice mixture. Cover and grill an additional 5 minutes on each side or until done, basting occasionally. Yield: 8 servings, 4 ounce breast.

Nutrition Information (per breast): 181 calories; 2.5 g. fat; 65 mg. cholesterol; 336 mg. sodium; 12.9 g. carbohydrate; 0 g. fiber; 23.1 g. protein

Result: Sweet, spicy, ooey, and gooey! The PERFECT addition to your grill or event! Enjoy!

And with this Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken…asparagus. I have a long-standing history of over-cooking asparagus to the point of no return. Into the trash it goes. Luckily for me, I’m a much better griller than I am a roaster. :-D

A shot of Lily, hopeful that husband or I misses our mouths with bites of diner. That girl goes BANANAS over chicken…!

Question: You can only eat ONE grilled food for the rest of your life, what do you choose?

Weekend, where are you?

Comments

1. Liz says

I’m even more excited to make this recipe now!!! I like pretty much anything on the grill but my favorites are steak and pineapple. Mmm!

OOOH…I saw the recipe you adapted from in Cooking Light! Can’t wait to give it a go. And make a margarita with some of that tequila! (oh, did I say that? I meant to just think that!) One grilled food for the rest of my life??? Hmm…maybe planked salmon? So good! Have a great day Nicole!

• Nicole says

Quit reading my mind!!! If it wasn’t a hurried Tuesday that I made these, you better bet margaritas would’ve been involved ;)

That chicken looks amazing!

My favorite grilled food is grilled pineapple sprinkled w/ a touch of brown sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I will not be seeing that though b/c our grill broke!

I love, love, love this chicken recipe – sadly, my husband can’t do spicy or sweet with meat – what gives?!

Grilled pizza – I could live off of that forever!

I love the puppy! So darling! My son’s future in-laws are coming for a bba this weekend. I’m saving this recipe. My hubby is grilling ribs and I wanted some chicken. Perfect! Thank you and have a good holiday weekend.

Kristi

I would choose grilled brussels sprouts, or romaine lettuce. :-)

Wow, this chicken is smokin! The glaze looks perfect. I wonder if I can use vodka too…

7. Liz says

I’ve made this twice already! Once with tequila and once without (used additional juice as suggested)… delicious! We had a BBQ last weekend and everyone (adults and kids) loved it!

8. Lauren says

Oh how i wish i had a grill (silly apartment living) I think I’ll be heading to the parent’s house to make this for sure sometime this summer.

One grilled food? STEAK!!!!!!!! I’m a meat-aholic