Pumpkin Waffles

It’s been over a week since I posted a breakfast recipe…it’s time for another. And not so surprisingly, it’s another pumpkin recipe. If you haven’t noticed by now, I love pumpkin and use fall as an excuse to eat it…a lot.

Plus, pumpkin is a nutrition super star. Not only is pumpkin low in calories and naturally fat-free, it is also an excellent source of not only fiber, but antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E!

When you take nutritious pumpkin and add in whole wheat flour, protein-packed egg whites, and fall spices such as cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg…there’s no going wrong.

Normally, Mr. Prevention isn’t a big breakfast food lover. These, however, he gobbled up…x2. I guess I should’ve doubled the recipe as I love to reheat waffles in the toaster oven for mornings to come. Are we seeing a familiar pattern with Mr. Prevention and my pumpkin recipes lately?

…Just saying.

Pumpkin Waffles from Cate’s World Kitchen

1 cup pumpkin puree 4 egg whites 1 cup low-fat buttermilk 1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour 2 tsp baking soda pinch salt 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp sugar 2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg 1 tsp ground ginger

Stir the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger together in a small bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg white, pumpkin, and buttermilk. Stir into the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.

Heat a waffle iron or skillet over medium high heat and spray with nonstick spray. Pour half the batter into the preheated iron or pan.

If making waffles, cook according to manufacturer’s suggestion. If making pancakes, cook until bubbles appear on the top, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook an additional minute or two. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with maple syrup. Yield: 4 servings (4 large waffles or 8 pancakes).

Nutrition Information (per serving): 240 calories; 1.8 g. fat; 3 mg. cholesterol; 715 mg. cholesterol; 45 g. carbohydrate; 6.5 g. fiber; 7.3 g. protein

Result: Fall in waffle form! Cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger…oh my! While whole wheat flour can make waffles dense and heavy, the buttermilk is balances the batter out for a perfectly fluffy waffle (or pancake!). These are simple to make and offer up great nutrition stats, too. Enjoy!

TGIF! I am not even going to whine about having to work tomorrow…yet :) It has been another insane week so my plan is to workout this morning so that after work, I can go out to dinner with the hubs. :-D I know myself well enough to know that Friday evening workouts are usually the easiest to skip!

Question: Anything fun planned this weekend?

Comments

Yep, this recipe will have to be made this year, at my parent’s house (they have the waffle maker). Sounds wonderful! Hmmm..I wonder if I could use butternut squash! ;)

Going to a wedding up north this weekend. Nick and I are excited to escape C-bus for a while!

I’m considering pumpkin pancakes for my mom being in town this weekend. She’s a lil’ picky, though… so clearly I’ll have to run it by her first. :)

Have a wonderful RELAXING weekend. Maybe you can spend Saturday night in… and catch the Cards game… ;)

My brother, sister-in-law, and I did a surprise 40th anniversary celebration last weekend for my parent’s, so I’m taking this weekend off to catch up from that! I am having dinner with a friend at Whole Foods, so looking forward to that.

I love pumpkin too! I am gonna have to make these. Although I love pancakes, I prefer waffles. Something about the squares I guess. I am in a friend’s wedding tomorrow and then another friend’s bridal shower. Story of my life. haha. Have a great weekend, Nicole!

Okay, now I really want a waffle maker!! That looks fabulous. BTW, I am making your pumpkin scones finally this weekend – can’t wait! :D

Happy Friday – hope you finally get a relaxed (i.e. “non-traveling!”) weekend!

Dear Nicole. Please send 2 dozen of these waffles! If you can’t do that, please send me your waffle iron! :) Have a fantastic weekend.

My husband is a pancake person while I prefer the waffles – I love pumpkin waffles (especially with some chocolate chips in them).

I have class all day tomorrow – Sunday will be spent working on a midterm as well. Unfortunately not a fun weekend for me!

Looks scrumptious! I actually had a yogurt mess with pumpkin last night for dinner :) Bring on the pumpkin and spice season! Love it. I have to work tomorrow too, booo. And I think I’m trying to get sick =/ but I am going to do my best to fight it off. We have dinner plans on Saturday and have tickets to go see the Lion King before it leaves Vegas. Have a great weekend!

9. Kayla.d says

These look amazing! I’m really a sucker for a healthy waffle recipe, this has my name written all over it. I’m defiantly making these for my family and I on Christmas morning, MMM can’t wait!

I was just wondering though, is it possible to use just regular Pastry Flour rather than the Whole Wheat Pastry Flour? THANK YOU! Keep up all the great work, love your site. :)

• Nicole says

Thanks, Kayla! I hope you enjoy them, too!

I would use all-purpose flour or half whole wheat, half all-purpose. I’m not familiar with pastry flour but if it’s anything like cake flour, I don’t know how it would turn out…