Black Bean & Quinoa Veggie Burgers

blackbeanquinoaburgers1

I met with a patient not too long ago who was vegetarian. When we were talking about the reasons he was struggling with his weight, his food budget surfaced as a concern. It wasn’t the amount that was the problem, but instead how he was spending it.

“What is your monthly food budget?” I asked.

He replied, “About $750.”

Of course I asked how many people this amount feeds and he reported five, two of which were young children.

blackbeanquinoaburgers2

When we started looking at where he spent the bulk of his money, “meat substitutes” and prepared vegetarian meals were, by far, where he was spending the majority of his food budget. I was 1) floored and 2) unable to produce a go-to veggie burger recipe on the spot.

I was inspired after meeting with this patient. Inspired to not only to get this patient stretching his budget much, much further…but to land a seriously delicious veggie burger recipe to share. It is unfathomable to me as to how someone would fork over that kind of money before considering the option of cooking…it absolutely blows my mind. If you’re an avid vegetarian meal consumer, these are for YOU!

If you THINK you wouldn’t like veggie burgers, this recipe is for YOU, too!

blackbeanquinoaburgers3

It likely goes without saying, but Mr. Prevention was NOT happy about this meal. He popped in a frozen Jack’s pizza but wouldn’t you know he was piecing apart one of these patties before it was even off the griddle. He was sampling and sampled again. I think he tried a third bite before admitting he was wrong…admitting that, once again, he falsely judged a vegetarian recipe.

This recipe is going in the mail straight to that patient. I hope he takes the bit of effort required to make these because “the juice is worth the squeeze”. Don’t forget the yogurt sauce…so good, especially with the spicy Southwest flavors of the burgers. I did serve these on a bun, but you could certainly eat them solo. Veggie burgers just got taken to a whole new level and the nutrition stats couldn’t be more impressive (7.2 grams of fiber and 4.3 grams of fat per burger!).

blackbeanquinoaburgers4

Black Bean & Quinoa Veggie Burgers slightly adapted from The Foodie Physician

½ cup dry quinoa 1 tsp olive oil 1/2 red onion, chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, divided 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed 2 Tbsp tomato paste 1 large egg 2/3 cup frozen corn 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped 1 chipotle in adobo, minced 2 tsp ground cumin 1/2 cup rolled oats 1/4 cup oat flour

½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt 1 Tbsp honey 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with 1 cup of water. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and cook 10-15 minutes until the water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Remove from heat. Note: this step can be done ahead of time.

Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté until onions are softened, 5-6 minutes. Place the mixture into a large bowl. Add black beans to the bowl and using a potato masher or fork, mash together until a pasty mixture forms.

Stir in the tomato paste, egg, corn, cilantro, chipotles, cumin and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in the cooked quinoa, oats, and oat flour until well mixed. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties, compacting them well with your hands as you form them. Place the patties on a baking sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight.

To make the yogurt sauce, stir the yogurt, honey and mustard together in a small bowl.

When ready to eat, preheat the oven to 400 F or heat a griddle to medium-high heat. If baking, spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place the patties on the sheet cook 10-12 minutes until the patties are golden brown and crispy. Carefully flip the over and cook another 10 minutes. If using a griddle, heat 4-6 minutes per side or until slightly golden. Serve patties with the yogurt sauce.

Yield: 6 burgers with 1 1/2 tablespoons yogurt sauce (nutrition information excludes bun)

Nutrition Information (per burger): 236 calories; 4.3 g. fat; 31 mg. cholesterol; 418 mg. sodium; 38.7 g. carbohydrate; 7.2 g. fiber; 11.3 g. protein

Result: Lots of flavors and textures in these! Store bought veggie burgers cannot hold a candle to these. Make large batches and freeze them individually for later. I love the cumin and chipotles and I was very pleasantly surprised to know that these hold together so well. A keeper recipe, for sure! :)

Our 4 Christmases have come to an end. Family, friends, and husband were far too generous. We are heading home with a more-packed car, an exhausted bulldog, and only 2 work days until the weekend ;) T’was a very merry Christmas indeed!

While the past week and a half has been all about the sugar, I’ve moved on to all that is healthy (and good!)! ;)

sig4

Comments

Looks delicious, Nicole. NExt step is actually getting this guy to MAKE the burgers! I I guess he could always make a triple batch, and freeze them, right?! They look awesome. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!

wow, his food budgeting seems ridiculously high while making food at home is so much healthier and cheaper. Loveeee veggie burgers and I made similar ones not too long ago and its great with salads, simply freeze it and its good next day for your meal :) I am so glad you are taking the initiative to send the recipe to him because he will appreciate it.

This burger sounds awesome! I will definitely need to try this and I am sure my meat eating (although he enjoys meatless meals often) would approve. Glad you had a nice time celebrating Christmas with friends and family.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I know of so many vegetarian bloggers! When we do no-meat weeks in our house, our food costs are usually much lower!

These look so very appetizing! My husband and I are tending towards reducing the amount of meat we eat, and it sounds like this will be perfect! He does the same thing with vegetarian recipes, so perhaps this one will help turn him around as well! Do you think the recipe would work with millet replacing the quinoa?

Hi there!

I am a midwife and am trying to get a nice collection of recipes on our website that are healthy and simple and appealing to families with small kids…like this recipe!

I’d like to encourage you to submit it (and as many others as you like) to our recipe contest. If we post your recipe(s) on our site (which will if you submit them…your recipes are awesome), we will post not only your name as you enter it but also a link to your blog.

Each recipe you enter earns you the chance to win a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant of your choice. (Local = where you live, and locally owned, not some big chain) For full details on the contest, click here:

PS – Any readers of this blog are also encouraged to enter the contest!

7. Annie Wilson says

I definitely agree that this recipe is a keeper. I’ve been looking for years for a decent veggie burger that didn’t come out of a box. This one ends my search! I doubled the chipotle and couldn’t even really tell it was there. Will prob do 3 or 4 chipotles next time. Thanks for sharing!

• Georgia West says

I have made them twice and quadrupled the recipe. I freeze them before cooking, hoping they will retain more of their moisture. A handy little burger press and wax paper squares makes them so easy to separate when frozen.

These looked so wonderful thought I would give them a try. We are not vegan, just wanted something meatless and different for lunch. LOVED them! Each burger was just over 1/2 cup of the mixture. I used 1/2 tsp Chipotle powder instead of the pepper and sauce. I also used 1/4 cup egg substitute in place of the egg. These held together perfectly. Even my husband loved them! Said he wanted them for lunch again tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing! These were so simple to make.

9. Donna says

Has anyone tried the quinoa burgers yet? I am wondering if the raw oatmeal gets soft when cooked and whether quick oats or old -fashioned is best. Donna

• Cat says

I made them without refrigerating (I’m impatient), and other than a couple falling apart, they were fine. Will try to plan ahead next time. :)

10. Brenda says

I just made these, I was so excited to try them that I couldn’t even wait for them to solidify in the fridge. I’m in love, these are better than restaurant veggie burgers! I can’t wait to eat another one with some baked sweet potato fries on the side. Thank you for sharing!

11. Tiffany says

I hate veggie burgers! They are usually so bland and boring, but not these babies. These are Amazing!!! My whole family loved them. Will make over and over again. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

12. Cat says

I made these for dinner with some homemade (baked) French fries. They are SO GOOD. Thank you for this recipe!

13. Tina says

Just wondering if you can replace the egg with something else? Husband can’t eat dairy, egg or gluten. They look delicious!

14. Joy says

We have egg and dairy allergies in our house. Do you have suggestion for leaving the egg out/replacing the egg?

Katein, chipotle peppers in adobo are spicy peppers in a sauce that come in jars in the Mexican foods section. They comes as peppers that need mincing and the sauce is called adobo sauce…it comes in the can with the peppers. I hope that helps!

15. Amy says

I made these this evening, they were wonderful! I made only one change, I made a honey-lime yogurt sauce instead and topped with avocado.

16. Erin B. says

Made these and LOVE them!! Work SO good cooked and frozen for a quick lunch. Do you happen to know the WW Points or Points Plus for these?

Thanks, Erin! I do not know the points for these…sorry! The nutrition info is there, though…I’m sure there’s an online calculator somewhere! :)

17. Krisi says

I made these for dinner last night and served them on buns. They were good, but not to die for. Today I served the leftover burgers wrapped in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun & OMG what a difference! LOVED them and can’t wait to make them again!

That’s interesting! I kind of feel the same. Whenever I pull them from my freezer to enjoy, I love them most without a bun :)

I’m anxious to try these after I’ve gathered all the ingredients. To freeze these, do you recommend freezing them before, or after, they’ve been cooked?

Thank you for sharing the recipe (which I discovered on Pinterest)!

19. Brianne says

These were so good! I doubled the recipe so I would have some to freeze, used whiole wheat flour instead of oat (it’s what I had on the shelf), and used 4 chipotle chilis since we like spice. I chilled for 2 hours and they stayed together just fine. Made the honey/lime/yogurt sauce another poster recommended (and hubby doesn’t like mustard anyway). Will definitely keep these in the recipe arsenal!

You could try a flax egg – 1 Tbsp ground flax with 3 Tbsp water (allow to sit and form a gel) and leave off the yogurt sauce.

20. Becca says

I have a fractured spine and am eating vegan to reduce pain and inflammation made worse by eating wheat, corn, dairy (including eggs and milk) and meat. How should I make the Quinoa veggie burger so that it can fit with foods in my diet. While I can eat black beans (that are organic), I do not want to eat potentially GMO foods, to put more stress in my life..

Thanks.

21. Kika says

Do you have a suggestion for something to replace the corn with? I won’t eat corn unless it is organic/non-gmo (and I’m out) and don’t really digest it anyways.

22. Concetta says

I’m allergic to oats…is there something I could use in place of the oats? I see that regular or whole wheat flour is ok for the oat flour…but what about the oats?

23. Kika says

Made a double batch this evening – replaced the corn with red pepper and used a homemade chili powder instead of the chipotle (which I don’t know where to find). Nice but didn’t absolutely love it in a bun… for the leftovers I’ll eat them on top of salad, with the sauce, I think.

24. Trace says

Hey! I just wanted to say thanks for the recipe! I have a really hard time digesting beef, and try to stay away from soy products, so non-soy veggie burgers get me really excited! I have these chilling in the fridge right now, and in addition to the corn, I added some cubed zucchini (cubed to be about the same size as the corn). I can’t wait to try them!

Hi I was wondering where all that cholesterol comes from. I am looking for cholesterol free foods and hope I can cut something out of the recipe to make it cholesterol free. Is it just the yogurt sauce? Thanks for posting this recipe.

26. Danelle says

I made these last week for a friend, they were AWESOME! So good that I just mixed up my second batch, I will be freezing some of these to have on hand for a quick meal. Thank you so much for posting this! Loved them!

27. Rochelle Hairston says

Ohhh, I so cannot wait to try this recipe…going to try and make some tomorrow!! If I cannot find the coconut yogurt to make the yogurt sauce I’ll try it w/ avocado. That should be super yummy…and if I can make the sauce I’ll try the avocado anyway. Thank you so much for this recipe. GOD Bless you and your family!

28. Kate McDonnell says

So i found this recipe on pinterest and I’ve been so excited to make it! I have plans to make these for a group of my friends in a few weeks and i tested them out today to see if they’d be good. They were so good! They were guilt free, yummy burgers! I made the yogurt sauce but instead of dijorn mustard i used brown spicy mustard, so i don’t know how badly that messed up the flavor, but I was not a huge fan, however my brother liked it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, I really enjoyed it!

OMG YUM. Just had these for dinner and they are a-maze-balls. It’s been hard to find meatless meals that the Man will eat without complaints, but he said these were a 9.2/10…he deducted points because they didn’t have cheese or bacon :) The only thing I might change the next time would be to add some shredded zucchini or carrots to bump up the veggie factor and add some more moisture. Thanks for the recipe, definitely a keeper!!

Found you via pinterest and I am wow how simple it is. Will try it today to impress my boyfriend by the time he will be back from work. A veggie burger will keep him fit;)

31. Leslie says

I am on Weight Watchers and these looked amazing – I put them into the recipe builder and they are only 4 points per patty – made a batch and actually got 7 patties out of the mixture! Can’t wait to eat them!

1. […] Abby // ”Cooking to me always seems more like a chore than an adventure or a fun thing to do. I come home from school, or work tired and just want to make something easy and quick. This year I want to focus on trying new recipes, eating healthy and making real use of my oven. To start out I’ve always wanted to make my own veggie patties, I’m going to try this delicous looking recipe.  […]

2. […] Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers – these were another HUGE hit in our house.  A little bit of spice (I only used 1 chipotle pepper, but will bump it up to 2 the next time), and all kinds of nice.  I saved a few of the beans and added them whole (rather than mashing them all) for a bit of texture.  Next time I will probably add some shredded zucchini and/or carrots to bump up the veggie factor and add some moisture, but they were REALLY good. […]

3. […] Black Bean Quinoa Burgers This first recipe is my current favorite vegetarian burger. It is flavorful and smoky, holds together well, and has an excellent texture. I make a batch or two and freeze the leftovers for easy lunches. These burgers taste incredible on a bun with a bed of arugula or a mix of baby spinach and arugula. The yogurt sauce is perfect for tempering the spiciness, and if you want, you could add a teaspoon of canned minced chipotle in adobo sauce plus 1/2 teaspoon of the adobo sauce to the yogurt mixture for a smoky kick. […]

4. […] 31. Black Bean & Quinoa Veggie Burgers – If you have yet to cook with quinoa, this burger will show what it’s capable of. It’s so versatile it mixes with the black beans to form a burger patty. You might not even miss the meat because it’s so hearty and fills you up, while also adding protein to your diet. The supporting cast of a chipotle, corn, cilantro, and cumin means this will be bursting with flavor and texture. […]