Do you remember when I said I hosted 27 people a week ago Sunday and the event was a success? I’m still patting myself on the back for managing that one. Other than grapefruit margaritas, an exciting Seattle vs Green Bay game, and toys and kids galore, the food was a big hit.
I suspected my dessert creation would go over well. I started with a stick of butter, and about a half a cup of brown sugar and heated that up with about 5 pounds of diced apples. I threw in lots of cinnamon and let them simmer down to tender, sweet perfection. Meanwhile, I made my own vanilla whipped cream in my beloved stand mixer. Man…if only heavy whipping cream were low calorie. I cubed up angel food cake and layered the apples with the cubed cake and whipped cream and repeated the layers to make some rendition of a cinnamon apple trifle. Along the way, I also drizzled in some caramel. Yum-o.
My appetizer went over well, too. One of the best compliments I can receive is when the guys are saying, “Nicole, be sure you give my wife the recipe for this!!”
Is this Buffalo Chicken Bread healthy? Probably only if you compare it to that dessert I whipped up. 😉 But is it the worst thing ever? Nah. Plus, it’s super easy to make and obviously it’s a crowd pleaser. If you’re looking for something on the lighter side for Super Bowl Sunday, there’s some delicious and healthy links below!
- 1 lb loaf of sienna bread, halved length-wise
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (approx. 1 lb)
- ½ cup wing sauce
- 1½ cups 2% colby jack, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine shredded chicken and wing sauce in a bowl and toss to coat. Spread chicken over the surface of the cut side of the bread and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
- After baking, top with sliced celery and blue cheese crumbles. Slice into 1½-inch slices and serve warm.
Healthy Super Bowl Snack Ideas:
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Creamy Onion Dip
- Buffalo Chicken-Topped Potatoes
- Guacamole with Jicama, Cucumber, and Mango
- Edamame Guacamole
- Fresh Grilled Salsa
- Buffalo Wing Hummus
- Cauliflower Buffalo Wings