You guys, this week is kicking my tushie. Winter with an infant is not for the weak, let me tell you. I go to bed at night and I feel like I’ve aged a decade. I think my vision is worsening by the day, too. I mean, do you know how hard your vision has to work to adjust to navigating your car through a white out blizzard? Dang.
It’s like…oh mah gah, a truck!! Out nowhere. Really, really un-cool. I am driving my brand new SUV…that already has a crack in the windshield thanks to the repairing of the elements here in the North Pole.
In addition to my laptop bag, purse, pumping bag, diaper bag, and baby carrier, please add a “shoe bag” to the never-ending list of items I leave the house with each morning. After nearly doing the splits in my heels in the hospital parking lot on Tuesday, I’ve gotten a bit more winter savvy and have opted for my fuzzy boots during my commute and walk into and out of daycare and work.
Speaking of daycare, I had to find a new one…fast. Our daycare was closed yesterday and today and it’s looking like tomorrow will be a no-go, too. This whole motherhood thing gets more complicated by the day, let me tell ya.
I have to laugh at life when it stresses me to the max. And take a step back and just breathe. Close my eyes. Wooooooo-saaaaaaah.
And then grab a glass of wine and just chill out in my happy place — the kitchen. My gal pal enjoys being with me in the kitchen. We just jabber on and on about who knows what, but it fills my heart with so much happiness that I suddenly have all the drive and energy in the world to get through another hectic day as a mommy. And of course energy enough to throw together a hot cooked meal.
I grabbed this recipe from Cooking Light and bumped up the curry some and added more kale, a few more noodles, and scallops…thanks to Mr. Prevention over-buying for his fondue extravaganza last weekend. Thanks, hubs.
- 8 oz dried rice noodles
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 Tbsp Thai green curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
- 1¼ cups carrots, matchstick-cut
- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 (13.5 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, ribs removed and roughly chopped (about 10 cups, packed)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ lb raw scallops
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of ½ fresh lime
- Prepare rice noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add green onions, garlic, and ginger; sauté 1 minute. Stir in curry paste; sauté 30 seconds. Add carrots, chicken stock, and coconut milk, stirring well to combine; bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
- Fold in kale; sprinkle with salt. Cook 3 minutes or until kale is wilted and tender. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turning pink. Add scallops and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; top with cilantro, lime rind, and juice. Serve over rice noodles.
We’re expected to get a FOOT of snow in the next 24 hours and judging by the looks of it outside right now…I believe it to be true 🙁
Dragging myself to the basement for a workout…