Every July my friend from hockey hosts a HUGE summer party. It’s such a blast and she spends weeks preparing. Her property is absolutely amazing (and massive!) – in-ground pool, basketball court, wireless speakers, and so on. For the event, she smokes a pig, gets a keg of Molson (because, Canadian pride with our hockey friends), a porta potty, a massive tent – it’s a production. HUNDREDS of people come.
She’s far more popular than me. I don’t think I even know hundreds of people, much less have hundreds of people in my life who are going to come over and enjoy a summer day together.
Anyway, I went to the party alone this year. It was nap time for the girls and we had evening plans with friends…so it just made sense. Plus, we just talk hockey anyway and Mr. Prevention couldn’t care less about the topic. Especially now that we have the girls, it’s once a year, at most, that he even sees me play.
I mean, he doesn’t even know how AWESOME my slap shot has gotten! Baaahaha.
So every year at the party, there’s what Michael calls “Mexican corn” – corn with mayo, chili powder, and cojita cheese. I’ve always been a little “is that really necessary” and foregone the goodies on my corn. WRONG. So necessary. And if not necessary, it’s simply divine.
The Mexican Street Corn is the star of this dish – the chicken is just a bonus. The corn is tangy, sweet, salty, and savory. It’s a total party of flavors in your mouth…IN TACO FORM! So in short, it’s perfection. Plus it’s quick and easy to make…and the whole family will love it!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 ears corn shucked, kernels cut off
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 oz (1/4 cup) cotija cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- ½ packet (about 1½ Tbsp) low-sodium taco seasoning
- 6 (6-inch) tortillas, warmed
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add corn and mix once to coat in oil, cook until charred on one side, about 3-4 minutes. Toss corn, stir, and repeat until further charred, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer corn to a medium bowl and add mayonnaise, cojita, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, and chili powder; mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and return to heat. Add sliced chicken and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Mix to coat and cook chicken 6-7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Fill each tortilla with Mexican street corn and chicken and sprinkle with chopped red onions, if desired. Serve immediately.
Weekly Menu: July 16th – 20th
- Sunday: Sweet and Spicy Lettuce Wraps
- Monday: Grilled Summer Vegetable Chopped Salad
- Tuesday: Lemon Garlic Orzo with Roasted Vegetables
- Wednesday: leftovers or breakfast for dinner – TBD
- Thursday: Creole Shrimp and Creamed Corn