Friday night we did absolutely nothing. I worked way too late for a Friday night and came home to find Mr. Prevention and Lily snuggled up on the air mattress in our bedroom. You see, Lily dog isn’t allowed on furniture or in the bed, yet she refuses to let you enjoy a nap or rest (outside of the hours of 9am to 6am) and so the air mattress comes in handy. Lily sees the air mattress and she can go from full of energy and bouncing off the walls to full out bulldog snoring in peace…with an air mattress.
Who knew air mattresses were magical?
Even still, we reserve air mattresses for “emergency use” only.
While our Friday routine includes date night out at a restaurant, I knew Mr. P wouldn’t be up for leaving home. If illness wasn’t enough, the drifting snow and 2 degree Michigan winter weather with lake effect snow…flying sideways…was probably what sealed the stay-at-home deal. My growling stomach had me ordering take-out Chinese food that is less than a mile from home. I made it over the snow bank that the plow had built up at the end of our driveway with a quick gunning of the accelerator.
In the naaaaame of dinner!
Yesterday morning, I barely made it out of the driveway for my tennis lesson, but I made it. After returning from the 90 minute workout dripping in sweat (being sweaty in COLD weather is the worst!), my car didn’t handle the snow bank quite so well. After a few attempts, I was officially stuck at the end of the driveway. The only plus side to this situation was that I opted to wear my boots to the gym versus just running there in my gym shoes. Good thinking, Nicole.
My workout was followed up with another 25 minutes sweat session as I dug out my car and made it safely up the driveway and into the garage. Needless to say, I didn’t leave the house the rest of the day. And what is there to do when you can’t leave home? Bake! With an ingredient list this simple, there was just no saying no to these cookies.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix in the egg whites and egg. Fold in the chocolate.
- Scoop batter in heaping tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, spaced 2 inches apart. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Allow to cool complete on the baking sheets.
Weekly Menu: January 26th – 30th
- Sunday: Chicken Enchiladas with Poblano Sauce
- Monday: Spinach and Artichoke Melts
- Tuesday: Broccoli and Cheddar-Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Wednesday: leftovers
- Thursday: Overnight French Toast Cups
Another lazy day ahead, though I will need to brave the elements for the grocery store at some point 😉