Mr. Prevention has a designated shelf in the pantry for all of his goodies. I try not to even glance in the general direction of the shelf as it contains nothing healthy and nothing remotely low in calories.
Poptarts, Reeses Pieces, Twizzlers, frosted animal crackers, and the list goes on and on. I mean, the man easily eats 3,000 calories between 7pm and 10pm every night and yet I’m the only always battling the scale. #lifeaintfair
Speaking of which, the scale and pregnancy can be a tough. At just about 30 weeks, I’m up 20 pounds and while I realize many women have gained more than that at this point in their pregnancy, my pre-pregnancy weight didn’t warrant more than 15 pounds of weight gain. That said, I’ve changed very little about my diet over the past 30 weeks and so it’s just tough to lack that control over what my body’s up to.
Luckily, I never battled nausea and I’ve continues to eat healthy 80% of the time and splurge the rest of the time 😉 Since my splurges are no longer on craft beer or an aged glass of Chianti, desserts have been my go-to splurge. In moderation, of course…despite all of the prods of, “Baby Shea wants it!” or “You can eat whatever you want, you’re pregnant!”
BONK. Very much so BONK.
I’ve tried to keep the sweets to not-so-sinful sweets, like Lime Creamsicles and Strawberry Frozen Yogurt. It’s easier to keep things on the lighter side when summer’s here and fruit is not only delicious, but affordable.
But then, there’s other times where summer’s sweets include no fruit but are just a perfect take on the ever-loved s’more. I mean, unless you’re living under a rock, s’more everything is everywhere this time of year…and, I love it. Give me s’mores in any form and I’m one happy girl. The no-bake and 139 calories per serving are certainly added perks to this recipe, however!
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- Line a 9x13-inch dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or until melted. If additional time is needed, microwave in 15-20 second increments, stirring between. To the chocolate, stir in 1 cup of marshmallow and mix until melted and incorporated into the chocolate.
- Stir the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and the cereal into the bowl, mixing to coat in the chocolate completely. Transfer mixture to the 9x13 and flatten over the entire bottom of the dish, using the back of a spatula coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours or until chocolate has set. Cut into bars; store in the refrigerator.
As s’more season transitions into football season, I’ll be anxious to have a baby. And maybe drink a pumpkin ale. But most certainly, I’ll also be pumped up and ready for my 5th ANNUAL CHILI CONTEST!! How has it been 5 years already!?
So, here’s the very simple deal. If you have a GREAT chili recipe you’d love to submit, email it to me at [email protected]. I will accept the first EIGHT chili entries and will email you either way to let you know if you were one of the first 8 🙂
The 1st place winner will win a $100 Visa gift card and the 2nd place winner, a $50 Visa gift card.
SEND ME YOUR DELICIOUS CHILI RECIPE NOW! Illini football season kicks off on August 30th and my chili posts will begin in early September and will wrap up by the close of the college football season, when the winners will be announced. 😀