This weekend is the National Blueberry Festival weekend in our neck of the woods. P.S. I so want this t-shirt. 5K/10K yesterday, blueberry pie eating contest…the list goes on and on. All weekend, all blueberries.
On my way to and from work, I pass all the vacationers (and locals) picking blueberries. Blueberries so big you can see them on the bushes 100 feet away in your car as you pass by at 60 mph. If I weren’t wearing heels, it would be my before and after work routine to stop and pick.
Co-workers have acres and acres of berries and will often invite us over to pick…for free. Deliciousness and antioxidants are abundant in southwest Michigan come August, there’s no doubt about it.
I haven’t actually picked blueberries yet this season, but I’m hoping to very soon.
A few weeks ago, I picked up a 5 lb box at the farmer’s market in South Haven and those were gone in a week. Then, our friend Kylie visited and brought the BIGGEST (and oh so sweet!) blueberries when she came – another 5 lbs gone…in less than a week. And on my way home from work on Friday, I swung by one of the farms for a 5 lb box, minutes after the field workers had returned for the day with flats full of the delicious berries.
Should I gush a little more by sharing that 5 lbs of blueberries runs anywhere between $10 and $14? Heaven!
Needless to say, there’s been a lot of berry-eating going on. Raw, baking, freezing, smoothies…you name it.
And nope, I’m not sick of blueberries…at all, whatsoever.
This morning I’m going to make a version of these Giant Whole Wheat Apple-Oat Breakfast Cookies with blueberries and cranberries, but last week was these Lemon Blueberry Pancakes. Not only are lemon and blueberry a flavor pair that tops all flavor pairings, but they’re quick and easy to make, use every day ingredients, and a serving of 3 ‘cakes comes in under 300 calories. Oh yes, please!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⅓ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat an electric griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flours, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, milk, and lemon juice.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spatula until nearly combined; fold in blueberries.
- Drop batter on hot griddle by the ¼ cup, spreading to create a 4-inch diameter pancake. Cook 2-3 minutes or until bubbles rise to the surface and the pancakes are slightly golden; flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Weekly Menu: August 10th – August 14th
- Sunday: Caprese Mac and Cheese
- Monday: Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta
- Tuesday: leftovers before childbirth classes
- Wednesday: Baked Crunchy Tacos
- Thursday: leftovers
Someone will be happy to find out it that it’s another beach day today! Thank you, weekend, for being perfect! #worththewait